Please someone HELP!!!!!!

silvano

Cadet
Hello all i am new to this site and new to boating. Here is my weird problem last week i just bought this boat its a 26' ft cruisers merc 5.7 alpha one drive took it out to a local lake but before i went to the lake i made sure the boat would start so i hooked up my hose and ran it for about 5 min then i hooked up and left to the lake when i got there i backed down the ramp and it started then stalled i open the choke i thought maybe i flooded it still crank no start then pulled it out and quess what it started up then quickley shut it down so im back in line waiting my turn to unload get to the ramp back it down starts up and the same crap happens this time i crancked it till the dam battery die's lucky for me there was a marina up the road. bought a new battery popped it in and started again on land grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. So here i am 3 hours trying to get this boat in the water so this time im on the ramp i start it before i get in the water back it down while its running im in the water had it reved up to around 1500 rpm stayed on the ramp till the temp rised a bit. Now the boat is finally in the water drove it all day (7) hours no problem. Now do i have a boat that thinks it a car? lol Y does it start on land and problems while its in the water also when i put it reverse it sometimes stalls.

Thank you all

shrew

Lieutenant
Re: Please someone HELP!!!!!!

You ran the motor with the boat out of the water without muffs? It's a wonder you didn't burn out the impellor and start overheating while out on the water. Personally, I would change the impellor before I ran the boat again. That would have nothing to do with your starting issue and more to do with running it out of the water. No the engine won't necessarily overheat for a few minutes, but the impellor can burn out very very quickly if run dry.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Please someone HELP!!!!!!

This should be in the I/O section.
I would check the neutral interupt switch.Be certain choke is adejusted right.
Its ppossible fuel system was a little messed up from sitting.
Sometimes if too lean it will run out of water( no load/back pressure)not in the water.Running it all day may have solved the problem.Doesn't usually but sometimes you get lucky.