2.3L Cobra Starter/Battery Issue

snowforfun4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought an 88 1700 Bayliner Capri with a 2.3l cobra. I don't think it has been in the water in 10 years or so. The battery is dead, so i have hooked up the jumper cables to try to turn it over. I got nothing the first attempt and since replaced the solenoid. No i get clicking, but nothing else.

I did not want to buy a new battery until I decide that it will run. I hook up the battery cables to the battery, then attach the jumber cables. Please confirm that I should be ok doing it this way.

My next step will be cleaning up all of the connections to make sure I have good contact.

I have seen a number of other posts about chasing down the problem, bu I just want to make sure jump starting is ok with the "dead" battery hooked up.

Any help is appreciated!!

unixdood

Recruit
Re: 2.3L Cobra Starter/Battery Issue

Jumping should be fine as long as you dont ALWAYS jump it. Not sure with a battery with totally dead cells if it will ignite properly but thats another issue.
Also, if the starter is gone, they only cost about 59 bux on ebay, especially for the smaller engines like yours.

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try it straight on a good battery , your losing amps into the dead cells else..

Bondo

Staff member

I have seen a number of other posts about chasing down the problem, bu I just want to make sure jump starting is ok with the "dead" battery hooked up.

Nope,... Don't do that,...

At Best,.. It's just doing Nothing but drawing a few amps away from what your doin'...
At Worst, it's drawing All the available ampereage away...

Just hook the jumper cables to the battery cables, or right to the motor instead...

snowforfun4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input. I will give it another try this weekend.