Hot water in bilge after engine replacement

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
Ever since I had a Rapido Marine engine replacement by my local shop, I noticed a lot more water in the bilge. It has always seemed warm and I initally thought I was leaking coolant water somewhere because it started after the engine replacenment. I took it back to the installer initially, who stated the water was coming in around the outdrive because of transom flexing.

I took it to another shop who diagnosed the same thing. When hauling out this weekend, the bilge water was HOT!

I guess I'm on my own with this one. I was thinking I could put the boat in the water, put it in neutral and watch for leaks. 3,000 RPM sound OK? Any other tips?

Are there any specific places to look for leaking after an engine replacement? I'm not real thrilled with the initial work. They failed to snap the spark plug wires on the plugs snugly. After hitting a few wakes some of them came loose nearly stranding me. It took me a couple of trips to figure that one out. I'm suspecting something similar. I'm sure the transom isn't perfect, but I never had a proplem until the engine was replaced.

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hot water in bilge after engine replacement

Check all the hose clips on the engine. Also the large clips on the rubber connectors on the exhaust

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definetly check the exhaust tube(s) sense the water is hot. I have to replace mine cause it is doing the same thing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was thinking I could put the boat in the water, put it in neutral and watch for leaks. 3,000 RPM sound OK? Any other tips?

Not a good idea to run an engine at that rpm without a load. The load is what is helping to build the heat and pressure. Not going to happen on muffs, plus you might not have enough water to keep it cool.

Take it for a ride, have some one drive and you go searching for the leak.