weight of a 1980's mercury 115 hp?

npauls

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know the weight of a 1980's merc 115 hp motor? I am looking into trading my extra vehicle for one but am not to sure if it is alot heavier then the newer motors or if it is still close.

I always run a transom saver when trailering the boat so I am thinking it should be fine but just want to check the weight on it and be sure before I trade and find out that it is just to heavy for my boat.

Nate

arsenalpsu

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: weight of a 1980's mercury 115 hp?

that's about right, lower 300s. The inline 6s are the best power to weight engine ever made, any 115hp of today will be around 400lbs +

npauls

Seaman Apprentice

Good stuff thanks for the help guys. I am thinking this trade is going to work out great for me. I was wanting to sell my 4 runner anyways and take the money to upgrade the power on my fishing rig and then sell my very underpowered motor. I am hoping this new to me outboard motor checks out well when I take it to my mechanic and I can have it strapped on and rocking before the end of july. It only weighs around 50 lbs more then my motor now and has alot more power. I can't wait to feel my boat going around double the speed if not better. I will be able to fish with friends instead of solo now.

Nate

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

99 ci.,best power to weight ratio there ever has been....

Quad82

Seaman Apprentice

I had my 1978 115 hanging off the cherrypicker yesterday. I had a hanging scale that I use for weighting sides of beef between the motor and cherrypicker. It weighted in at 275 without the prop or powerhead wraparound. I don't know why I didn't think to set them on the motor for a true reading. But 300 pounds is about right.