Magneto or coil? '60 75hp

bilbo1usa

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

I have a '60 75hp Evinrude my dad and I have been working on getting to behave.
Boat ran yesterday, but on the way back to the dock it was acting like it had developed a timing issue.
Today it wouldn't start.
She was cranking fine, fuel getting the carb fine. But wouldn't catch even a little bit.

I suspect no spark. I have a spark plug tester (auto zone type) coming tonight, but won't get to use it until tomorrow morning.

From searching this forum and my manual it seems my lack of ignition likely comes from an issue in the magneto, distributor or coil.

Any suggestions on what order and what techniques these should be tested?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Magneto or coil? '60 75hp

If you have a mag that hangs off the back of the motor, there are points inside. If you disconnect the ground wire from the mag it should produce spark just by spinning over. Did you say you had a manual? It should have a troubleshooting section in it.
The timing is controlled by the cogged belt that drives the mag, has it slipped?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you get that spark tester, set it at a 1/4 " air gap and check for spark on each wire. Let us know what you find. Those magnetos are easy to work on but you have to understand them.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Even if the cogged belt slipped it would still have spark if every thing was right in the magneto. The mtr would be just out of time

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

My advice, don't guess, troubleshoot. So don't touch it till you can test for spark. I'd just ground out the plugs n turn it over, spark testers are nice, but..... not always requires. If you have spark, I'd move on to fuel next. Timing does get out, but a belt slipping, I've never had one go,where the belt didn't look like it was bad. What I mean is, if the belt looks good, chance are it didn't slip. So check out fuel system next. Then once you have eliminated spark and fuel, then move on to electrical.

Handyjim

Cadet

Followup: It was the kill wire shorting out against engine. Found it quickly. Thanks for the troubleshooting help.

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gotta love those kind of fixes.... the easy ones!