Newbie throttle question

Canman38

Cadet
I just purchased my first I/O. Its a 1988 Bomber Commander with a 5.0 OMC Cobra 2bbl. I got pretty familar with my evinrude outboard, but this thing is a little different.
I hear everybody throttling their engine in nuetral. I know it sounds dumb, but I havent been able to figure out how to do this. I just tried starting the engine on muffs for the first time since last year. I cranked and cranked the engine, and it really wouldnt do much but spudder once in a while. So I figured if I put it in gear and pumped the throttle by pushing all the way forward on the throttle control before I started it, I could get some squirts of fuel from the accelerator pump to help start. It worked, but would then slowly stall out.
I figured it would have a fast idle when the choke was closed but I looked at the carb and there are no steps on the fast idle cam, just kinda smooth all the way around. And doesnt move the throttle no matter where the choke is. So I couldnt figure out how to keep it running when it was cold, so I disconnected the throttle cable and worked the throttle right on the carb by hand while the drive was in nuetral.
Once it I ran it for a few minutes it seemed to start and idle ok and the throttle was pretty responsive.
I searched for an answer but I think it is too elementry for discussion.
I appreciate your help.

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Newbie throttle question

For most single stick controls you can disengage the shift for neutral with throttle control. Some use a button in the center of the throttle pivot. My control is put in neutral by pulling the bottm of the control straight out from the bottom and then moving the stick ahead. You can tell if it works by moving the control to a high speed position and seeing if the engine will crank. If it's in gear the neutral safety switch should keep it from turning over. You can also confirm this by trying to turn the prop backwards while in the fast start position. If it won't tun it's in gear, if it will turn it's not in gear.

HHIBouy

Cadet

That the same for me on my 87 MC 260. Just have to pull out on the bottom of the throttle an that puts it in netural. Most of the time when cold 2 or 3 pumps to full throttle and then leave it at about a 1/4 to start. If not then you should have a button on the controller.:rolleyes:

Canman38

Cadet

I knew it would be something simple like that, thanks.

So, does this carb use the fast idle cam or should it be smooth like it is? It kinda looks like it might be worn off but I could be wrong.

smarks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On mine I just pull the stick straight out about 1/2" then forward for throttle.

To start, pump 3 to 4 times, then leave throttle about 1/4 ingauged and crank engine.

You will know if your doing if correctly because it won't crank in gear.

Steve

180shabah

Rear Admiral

There is no fast idle cam on a marine carb - the throttle stays where you put it, so no need.

Canman38

Cadet

Makes sense. Just threw me off a little cause there is a fast idle screw and cam, just no profile on the cam.