1985 Grumman Challenger capacity plate location

pitsmokers

Recruit
Anyone know the exact location of where the capacity plate would be on a 1985 16' Grumman Challenger? It's decked out as a bass boat, and I need to update the registration with the correct capacity (I'm guessing 4 or 5). Length is 16' and beam is ~66".

Thanks! Not sure if I can sell it until I get this info.

insearch

Seaman
Re: 1985 Grumman Challenger capacity plate location

Have you been on before?

Check this http://forums.iboats.com/showthread...umman+Challenger+Specs+(person+weight+rating)

The plate if it is there should be visible, like in plane sight

FYI

You should never overload your boat. Carrying too many passengers, too much gear or cargo that is overweight will cause a vessel to become unstable. There is a much higher chance of capsizing or sinking a boat that has been overloaded. Keeping a balanced load will ensure that the boat maintains proper trim. All loads should be properly stowed or lashed down for safety. There are a few things to keep in mind when loading your boat.
To Know

1. Always distribute your load evenly, both from side to side and from fore to aft. By evenly distributing the load you will ensure that the boat does not list to one side or the other.

2. It is important to keep your load low for stability. Your boat can become top heavy if the load is too high. This can pose a greater hazard.

3. There should be enough seating to keep all passengers seated. It is unsafe to have more passengers than the boat is rated for. Passengers should never stand up in smaller boats.

4. Gear should be stowed or fastened down in order to prevent shifting. Sudden shifting can not only be a safety hazard, but can contribute to smaller boats capsizing.

5. Never exceed the Capacity Plate maximums. This is the U.S. Coast Guard Maximum Capacity for the vessel size. Since 1972 boats less than twenty feet long are required to have this plate.

6. In the absence of a capacity plate, contact your local Marine Safety Office to get a chart which shows the maximum number of passengers or the weight limit for vessels of common sizes. It is important to keep in mind that these maximums are based on vessel size and assume calm waters.

7. Keep in mind that passenger maximums are based on passengers that weigh 150 pounds each. Keep this in mind since many men can weigh much more that this, the passenger maximums should be adjusted accordingly.

8. As a general rule, to figure the maximum amount of passengers for your boat you should multiply the boat?s length by the beam. You then divide this number by 15. This will give you an estimated passenger capacity. However, keep in mind that this capacity is for passengers who weigh no more than 150 pounds each. This estimate also does not account for any gear or cargo. Also keep in mind that each person will require a life jacket, which will also be counted in the weight limit.

9. Although the Coast Guard rating is just a recommendation and there are no federal laws governing boat capacity infractions, insurance companies may not honor insurance claims if your boat was overloaded.

pitsmokers

Recruit
Re: 1985 Grumman Challenger capacity plate location

Yes, I did see that post, but I wouldn't mind seeing it outright. I don't know if the boat was built this way or if the capacity plate got carpeted over or is hidden somewhere.

I just don't want to tear the whole boat apart to find this info. Based on the calculation, it should be five, but just trying to verify.

Thanks.