5hp Wards Sea King made by Clinton

brownhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 5hp Wards Sea King. model #j5001106b type # 6027005r.

How do I fugure out what year it is? I tried doing a search online but came up empty.

brownhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 5hp Wards Sea King made by Clinton

Thanks Tom:cool:! I wish there was a site too look up model #s! Are these air cooled or water cooled engines?

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 5hp Wards Sea King made by Clinton

Thanks Tom:cool:! I wish there was a site too look up model #s! Are these air cooled or water cooled engines?

Don't know of an internet site for the purpose but I'll bet a good researcher (I'm NOT!) could find one.

As for cooling----they are both air & water cooled! The cylinder and upper crankcase receives forced air from the flywheel---keep those fins clean on both flywheel & cylinder.

The lower crankcase and seal area is watercooled and won't last long if the flow of water is not maintained. You will often see internet 'experts' hint that the waterpump on 'aircooled' motors is only to cool the exhaust leg to prevent burns and paint loss. That is NOT true. It is certainly a secondary benefit but the main purpose is to keep the engine alive.

I recently experienced a very graphic illustration in the case of a 1970 Chrysler 'aircooled' 3.6 horse motor that had the waterpump inlet completely stopped up. The lower bushing & seal were far advanced in looseness. The sloppiness there had started migrating to the upper crank bushing and the big end of the rod was nearing catastrophic failure. The heat had migrated up the rod itself and the piston pin was already heat blued. Even though the lower end was near failure the aircooled cylinder, piston and rings were entirely unaffected.

I have seen it posted a couple of times that Eska once said that using a heavier fuel/oil mix than recommended for daily use could temporarily prevent damage in such cases. Since the unburned oil in 2 cycles acts as a coolant to some extent by carrying away heat as it leaves the motor I can understand that although I've never been able to track the statement down in official Eska publications---perhaps someone here has it and will enlighten us.

But I would never want to depend on a heavier oil mix to replace the flow of cooling water!