15HP 4-stroke Evinrude.. flooding?

A.Jeff.P

Recruit
Just out for first time since sitting all winter. Before firing it up, dumped the gas and replaced with new. Failed to run the gas out last Fall (in hindsight, old gas likely in the 10' line from tank to engine). Started up and ran fine for about 3 minutes... about the amount I would expect if running gas out of the line. Running at full throttle, engine quit like it ran out of gas. Managed to get it to fire enough to get back to shore. Squeezing bulb pushes gas out of the bottom of the carb... which it didn't do before. Now unable to fire it up, likely flooded or ??? Keep it non-technical please.

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 15HP 4-stroke Evinrude.. flooding?

Just out for first time since sitting all winter. Failed to run the gas out last Fall (in hindsight, old gas likely in the 10' line from tank to engine). Squeezing bulb pushes gas out of the bottom of the carb... which it didn't do before. Now unable to fire it up, likely flooded or ??? Keep it non-technical please.

Probably. Also float and/or needle and seat probably stuck. Keep Seafoam in your tank and ALWAYS winterize you engine.

mercmafia

Cadet

It sounds like to me, over the winter, the ethenol in the fuel has gumed up the carb and holding the float bowl open. Since it is open, the fuel is dumping into the bowl and coming out of the sides. You will need to take off the carb and i would recomend cleaning it with some carb and choke cleaner and clean all the parts of the carb. If you have access to a service manual i would also recomend looking up the specified dop of the float and just see if it is out of spec.

Hope this helps!

A.Jeff.P

Recruit

Thanks for input.. kinda what I thought. I'm thinking that before I go to trouble of pulling carb off, I'll spray some carb/choke cleaner up the overflow hole in bottom of carb where the gas is leaking out... hoping for quick and easy fix. Any hazard to that approach?