1989 NS 70 A2 - Help!

ChevyReb

Seaman
I need to verify that this link http://internetoutboards.com/partdetail.asp?id=626 is for the correct service manual for this engine 1989 Nisson NS 70 A2. I would also like to ensure that this manual covers the troubleshooting steps and techniques to verify/isolate faulty ignition problems as well as how to check timing and perform the link and sync proceadure that an average gearhead can understand and follow.

I am having problems with idle quality and slow to mid speed transition on this engine. I have clean carbs and new plugs and have performed the de-carb proceadure as found on this site using both deep creep 3/4 can after warming engine and loading it up and let sit overnight with the spray can and then the 3 time 15 minute run and wait with 3/4 gallon of gas/3oz oil and 16oz can of sea-foam and it still runs like crap! I have compression checked it hot at 120 on both cylinders with both plugs removed and gauge in one plug hole at a time.

I want to verify timing and then check for spark/ignition problem to find out what is going on. I do not want to put a lot of money in this engine. If I cannot get it running good for a few hundred then I'm going to look for a different engine.

If I buy this service manual will I be able to get some help diagnosing this engine?

Thanks

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 1989 NS 70 A2 - Help!

Yes, that is the manual. Yes, it covers link and sync. Yes, we will do all we can to help you.

ChevyReb

Seaman

Well I just tried to order this and had a problem so I called and was told Internetoutboard.com no longer has stock on this manual and will not be getting anymore.

So now what... am I just screwed?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You can always get an aftermarket doorstop manual that covers it.....I'll find out why they have dropped the factory manual for you and if they are going to reprint them.

ChevyReb

Seaman

Thanks

I'll try calling again, the guy I talked to over the phone said differently. I went to place order and then the cart went blank after I put in my card and address info and hit the send button. He said the transaction did not go through, but I don't want two of them that's for sure.

ChevyReb

Seaman

you were right...tried different browser and it went through. Now I just hope I don't get two of them!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Call them or drop them email about the possible duplicate. That website uses an encryption sequence on orders that requires a perfect security handshake. One tiny thing doesn't verify and the site goes into a security lockup that does not allow an order to go through. It's incredibly secure, but if you use anything other than the latest IE browser you can get an error.

ChevyReb

Seaman

does anyone know how long it generally takes to get a service manual from internet outboards? I placed my order on June 22 and have not received it yet. I have left several messages on some guys voicemail box and also tried emailing them and get no response from either method of communication :-( I sure was hoping to have this boat for this weekend.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Generally, one to five days depending on where you are in the U.S. I would suggest emailing them again as you should receive a response back almost immediately.

ChevyReb

Seaman

I did get a call after this post so they did call me back. I was told they had sent me two emails but I did not get them. Anyway hopefully I will get it as soon as they do.

Thanks

ChevyReb

Seaman

I got the service manual and on page 36 photo 11-7 shows Setting the advancer arm A to the fully opened position. There are supposed to be four things listed but I can only see Numbers 2, 3, and 4 in the photograph and I do not see "A" either so I am stuck. I am trying to identify number 1, the "advancer arm A". Can someone please assist me in locating which specific part this is. On pages 37 and 38 there are diagram drawings that show some of these parts and linkages more clearly, however they do not name or identify them, it only shows where to use grease and thread bond.

Thanks

ChevyReb

Seaman

nevermind...cross referenced the parts manual and answered my own question. May be still confused as to which way is open and closed for advance

ChevyReb

Seaman

OK I did the link and sync and the adjustments were way off. It starts really fast now and idles smoother. It also makes the low speed to mid and high much more smoothly. But I think I still have some issues as it still wants to cut off sometimes when just in gear idling forward and especially reverse.

Also, the screws for the air bleeds in the carbs make no difference where you put them allthe way in to 2 1/2 turns out. I pulled them apart again and blew and sprayed carb cleaner through them and everything looks great. No trash and jet holes are open and clean...even the tiny ones. I have to set the idle screw all the way down to get it to idle. Could I have another issue not carb related that could cause these symtoms? Is the timing set by the link and sync or can tou put a timing light on it like a car?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

"Could I have another issue not carb related that could cause these symptoms? Is the timing set by the link and sync or can you put a timing light on it like a car? "

Yes and set the timing by measurement of the link rods.

ChevyReb

Seaman

the manual shows to adjust the top stop screw to 20 mm and if you set it there the advancer arm will hit the screw threads and not be able to rotate on its axis the way the diagram is shown. Or else I am not reading the diagram correctly. Also am wondering with idle mixture screws make no difference.

I am confused by your reply...can you use a timing light to verify timing is at 22.5 degrees?e Friday before I can test it again.

The boat is an hour away and no Internet there so it will b

Thanks for your help!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

What are you looking at? You should be on pages 39 and 40. As to the timing light...Completely unnecessary. The engine was designed to be worked on by mud hutters with stone hammers and sticks:) Seriously, ditch the timing light and just set the timing by using a rule on the rods. On the air mixture screws. You have a major problem if you are turning those and the engine doesn't stop running. Stop, stop, stop and get it into a tech.

ChevyReb

Seaman

"The engine was designed to be worked on by mud hutters with stone hammers and sticks"

^^^^^^Thats funny ^^^^^^^^^^good one!

I set rods to 45, 50, and 130 ...not sure about the page number as manual is at the lake with the boat. I am not certain that the screw adjustment as the way it looks to show yo the measure the threads from where it comes through the threaded section of the engine to the end of the bolt to be 20, or 23mm, going off memory. Anyway if you setit like that it gets in the way of the advancer arm. I will post a pic when I go back up there to show you what I'm talking about.

On the air mixture screws you can turn them all the way in or out and it makes no difference. I dont know if this is because the timing is off by the stop screw and I have it idled too high (all the way down idle screw) and it is coming into the transition circuit of the carb?

Uhoh major problem does not sound good. I hope it is just that I have not set something right.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It should be 13, 5 and 94....Now I'm frightened. What manual do you have?