xr6 carburators

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just purchased a boat with a 1992 xr6 150 It's been sitting for some time, so I removed the carbs to clean them. Someone had the number 3 bowl on the number one top. I'm wondering what the difference is in the carbs. They look identical, but are stamped 1, 2 and 3.
I'm assuming 1 is the top, 2 the middle, and 3 the bottom.
Anybody know for sure?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: xr6 carburators

Just purchased a boat with a 1992 xr6 150 It's been sitting for some time, so I removed the carbs to clean them. Someone had the number 3 bowl on the number one top. I'm wondering what the difference is in the carbs. They look identical, but are stamped 1, 2 and 3.
I'm assuming 1 is the top, 2 the middle, and 3 the bottom.
Anybody know for sure?

The carbs are the same except possibly jetting, and nipples for hose hookups. The proper number comes all set up (if you could buy it)

1 is top, 3 is bottom.

hope it helps
john

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks. I'm going to rebuild them and assemble them as labeled.
I took it out today and it's "missing". It may be a firing problem, but I'm starting with the carbs. There was some visible signs of dirt in 2 of them and the gaskets were shot. Hopefully this will solve my issues. I already put in new plugs.
It's on a '92 Hurst. Boat looks and rides great. Carpet is showing wear. I saw it sitting under a guy's garage, looked like it had not been moved in years. After negotiations I left with it at 2600 buck. Tandem wheel trailer, trolling motor and Humminbird. I feel like I can put a few bucks in the motor. The foot had quite a bit of water in it. I've changed the oil twice, and it's clearing up now. I've only had it in the water twice

j_martin

Admiral

Thanks. I'm going to rebuild them and assemble them as labeled.
I took it out today and it's "missing". It may be a firing problem, but I'm starting with the carbs. There was some visible signs of dirt in 2 of them and the gaskets were shot. Hopefully this will solve my issues. I already put in new plugs.
It's on a '92 Hurst. Boat looks and rides great. Carpet is showing wear. I saw it sitting under a guy's garage, looked like it had not been moved in years. After negotiations I left with it at 2600 buck. Tandem wheel trailer, trolling motor and Humminbird. I feel like I can put a few bucks in the motor. The foot had quite a bit of water in it. I've changed the oil twice, and it's clearing up now. I've only had it in the water twice

I'd do a compression check to be sure a cylinder didn't get hurt by running lean. If it's good, I'd go nuts on it, including getting a pro to go through the foot.

If it has sat with water in it, and you run it, you'll probably put the pinion out the side in short order. If you tear it down and replace bearings, seals, and whatever else got rusty in a critical spot, then run the proper high performance lube in it, it'll outlive you.

The gaskets on those carbs, especially the little one in the middle of the bowl, are critical. If you put one together and remember you did something wrong inside, get and use new gaskets when you go back in.

While you have the carbs off, you're only about ten bolts and one gasket from thoroughly inspecting the reeds.

hope it helps
John

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks. I'm borrowing in compression tester today. I discussed this with a buddy last nite and decided not to put money in this if the compression is bad. I've looked at some replacement foots on Ebay. Looks like around 700 bucks. I think I can get a local guy to rebuild it. He's good on Mercs. Been doing it 40 years. Thanks for the replies, and I think I will check the reeds.

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Checked the compression today. 110 psi on all 6 cylinders, so it's full speed ahead with the repairs.