add on Fuel filter

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
A friend of mine was looking at my boat and noticed i had a fuel filter that has the cardboard filter inside and told me his mechanic told him not to use the cardboard ones.
Is this info right?if not cardboard then what,plastic?And what is the reason for not using?
Don't know if it matters where it's at but i have it between the bulb and motor.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: add on Fuel filter

what motor? portable or built in tank???

sasto

Captain

the more filters the merrier. Buy a Racor. I run a 30 micro, a 20 and then a 10. Yup I'm anal.

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

A friend of mine was looking at my boat and noticed i had a fuel filter that has the cardboard filter inside and told me his mechanic told him not to use the cardboard ones.
Is this info right?if not cardboard then what,plastic?And what is the reason for not using?
Don't know if it matters where it's at but i have it between the bulb and motor.
I think some paper filters can be eaten up by the oil in the gas. I have used the G2 fram type online filters with diesel and never had any issues. If you go with an in line filter get the steel housing type as you don't want to step on a plastic one and break it.
I have a Fram G2 filter on mine right now, but not enough time on the motor to know if I'll have problems or not.

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

built in tank and as far as the filter i have no idea what brand.i just went to part store and said i need filter to fit 3/8 fuel line and they gave me one.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

built in tank and as far as the filter i have no idea what brand.i just went to part store and said i need filter to fit 3/8 fuel line and they gave me one.

In my opinion, with a built in tank you should install a water separating filter between the tank and the bulb. Get rid of the little inline filter and replace it with a large canister filter appropriate for the size of your engine.

I have never, or would never use a built in tank without it. I currently use one with the plastic chamber and drain valve at the bottom and really like that best. In the past I've had the kind with just the canister (that looks much like an oil filter), and it was appropriate for that application (inboard), but for an outboard, I prefer the drain-able kind.

If you already have a good water separating filter, you don't need another.