lots and lots of ??s 73 johnson 135

mitchsboat11

Cadet
ok so i really have no clue about this motor. when i got the boat the ignition was not in it so i looked on this forum and got the diagram and hooked it up the batery was also way messed up so i cliped the wires and hooked them back up for a better connection. there are about 4 wires in the motor not hooked up 2 starts from the right side of the moter hooked up to some part they are both purple one with white strip one with yellow strip there are also 2 wires dont know what color they are at all but next to the starter there is a long thing that wires go in to and there are 2 missing wires not hooked into it there im thinking the last two go there any help will help out alot im going to try and put pics up plz help i bout this boat for 300 bucks and its a nice boat so i want to get her running well

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: lots and lots of ??s 73 johnson 135

The factory manual has a complete color wiring diagram. If you hook up the wrong wire and burn that powerpack, it will be much more expensive than the book.

Anyway, the purple wires at the engine are for the choke solenoid. The one running from the top of the engine near the lifting eye should be disabled and the solenoid rewired so that it only runs off the switch on the remote control.

Attachments

• 1335 Choke Thermo Switch.jpg
    1335 Choke Thermo Switch.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Looks like you're missing the plunger for the choke solenoid, too...

mitchsboat11

Cadet

ok thanks guys also when i go to start it now it just clicks the starter does and i cheack all of the batery wires there all good and the power wire going to the starter is all good too should i just try and hit it wiht a hammer someone told me that might work lol dont know if thats a good idea or not but its just goes turn the key click trun the key click ???

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Never, ever, ever hit the start with a hammer! The magnets inside it are very brittle and will shatter if you hit the casing...

The click you're hearing is likely the starter solenoid. Could mean a low battery or a bad solenoid. If you follow the red battery cable into the motor, the first thing it bolts to is the solenoid. If you want to spin the motor over, you can jump directly to the post on the starter motor.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Click the thumbnail for the graphic on jumping the starter at the engine.

Be careful to use the positive terminals, it's easy to burn the wiring.

Attachments

• HotWire.JPG
    HotWire.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 0

mitchsboat11

Cadet

i took apart the starter last night and i did not hit it with a hammer but im betting someone els for sure did cuz all the magnets when mest up so it glued all the magnets back together and and polised up the brushes on the started its working now just have to put it on the boat and see if she will start thanks for all your help guys