Restore 'showroom shine' or repaint?

E_S_A_D

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a 1971 Steury boat. It is a fiberglass boat that was once red and white. Now it's an oxidized faded red and white. Should I just repaint the boat or is there a way to get rid of the fading/ oxidizing using a compound?

Please explain if you know how to do so... is it possible to 'rent' a buffer, would that even help?

Thank you!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Restore 'showroom shine' or repaint?

Go over to the restoration and rebuild section and you will see many boats that have been redone and look great, you can find info on each method to determine what action you may need to take.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

-Wash/degrease boat good!!!!
-Wetsand with 600 grit, work up to 1500 grit.
-Use wool wheel on a rotary buffer (not an orbital) with very heavy grit cutting compound.
-Buff again with a foam wheel with a light polishing compound.
-Hand wax with a nice marine wax.

Should look new. Plan to have 2 solid days in it.

aspeck

Staff member

I have a 1980 Skeeter that is red and white. It faded and oxidized to the point that I would buff it with 3M 606S and wax it to a beautiful shine only to have it faded and oxidized 3 weeks later.

Someone on this site turned me on to Vertglas. It is pretty easy to apply and works great! I did the Vertglas treatment to the boat about 4 years ago and since then have waxed it every spring. Period. It still looks like good. Highly recommend going this route. It is a 2 part system that you basically prep the paint and then sponge on the second part of the system. It reseals the paint/clearcoat and restored life to the faded color.

E_S_A_D

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm quickly seeing that these are going to be some of my favorite forums online. Just terrific. Vertglas, I'm going to look into that. Sounds like doing a repaint isn't 100% necessary; rather, a nice refresher.