1964 evinrude 9.5 wont start

xpac1978

Cadet
Ok, I bought this motor and the guy said that it ran fine last year. When I got it home I put it in a barrel and it fired right up. So I put it on my boat and took the kids fishing. The motor started on the first pull and ran awesome for about 2 miles and then i shut it off. When we went to move, I couldn't get the motor to continue to run. It would start for about 5 - 10 second of smooth running and then spit and sputter then die. so I had to row all the way back to the dock. I checked all the hoses and connections and figured it was a fuel problem. Still couldnt get it to start. In the morning (put back in the barrel) it fired up on the first pull and sat there and idled perfect for about 5 minutes. I shut it off and again it would not run. I changed the plugs, rebuilt the car and double checked all the hoses. Still wont start.....Please help, I'm out of ideas

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 1964 evinrude 9.5 wont start

Seeing that the carb rebuild went ok, the next thing would be the fuel pump. Does the motor continue to run if the fuel bulb is continuously pumped??
If so , a simple fuel pump rebuild is in order or a look at the tank venting system.

xpac1978

Cadet

Just to make sure...... the fuel pump is the black unit almost in the rear center of the motor correct? I took that apart as well and there was some but barely any sandy dirt in there. when I pull the start cord with the hose disconnected, sometimes it just sprays gas everywhere and other times it spits out. I know I shouldn't use it alot but I did try some starting fluid in the carb and it didn't even spit once or back fire. Sometimes it sounds like it wants to go but then it doesnt. I have decent spark. It has to be the fuel pump... right? Any ideas where I can get a rebuild kit for it?

xpac1978

Cadet

ok so it still wont run. any other suggestions?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Kill switch wires are known for grounding out the 9.5 motors.

Attachments

• 9.5 kill%20switch%20wires.jpg
    9.5 kill%20switch%20wires.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You will need another way to turn the engine off if it starts - plan ahead.

There are connectors that can be separated temporarily a little past the picture on the way to the flywheel.

xpac1978

Cadet

yea I know where those are. You wouldn't know how to get the flywheel off so I can double check the point gap do ya?

Robp722

Cadet

I'm having the exact same problem on a '66 9.5 Johnson. I've diagnosed everything I know of and even took the fuel pump apart and cleaned it...although I'm not sure if it's even a fuel pump, just a piece of plastic with a metal reed screwed into it. Now I can't even get the thing to turn over and fire, but I'm getting gas to the carb and in the bowl.

Markward

Recruit

It's a little crude but it works most of the time,

almost remove the large nut in the center of the flywheel until the top of the nut is flat with top of the shaft, the nut and shaft should be flush, if there is only a few threads left holding the nut on the shaft just remove the nut, I would recommend a brass drift as large as the nut. this is almost a two person job, have one person lift on the flywheel in two places 180 degrees apart, the other person will strike the flywheel nut/shaft with brass drift and a hammer. do not tap on it, it needs to be a firm rap with the hammer, but not like you are driving a railroad spike.
The flywheel should pop up, remove the nut then the flywheel do not loose the woodruff key that aligns the flywheel to the shaft.

I recommend the brass drift because if the nut is struck crooked with the hammer it can damage the threads on the shaft... That = no good.

If this does not work there are several pullers that are available to rent or buy.

Good luck

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You will need something to pull the flywheel up after you get the nut off, such as a harmonic balancer puller. The three threaded holes for your grade 8 screws are hidden under the metal cap.

Heat can destroy the flywheel magnets, lubricants don't help, and lifting from the side can destroy the flywheel.

Attachments

• Flywheel.jpg
    Flywheel.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0

xpac1978

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I will try that this weekend. anybody know where to get cheaper parts for these motors? all my shops around here are sooooo expensive, almost like this is the greatest motor in the world type of expensive.

xpac1978

Cadet

one thing I just thought of is my fuel line bulb. I wonder if it isn't sealed tight and therfore causing a drop in fuel pressure. I bet I'm flooding it out by trying to start the darn thing so much cause it isn't getting enough normal fuel flow. Any thoughts on that?

xpac1978

Cadet

ok so I got her running now but a little rough. I replaced all the fuel lines on the motor and the fuel line from the gas tank. It runs a little rough but a little tweaking and I should be ok. What I need now is a pictures of how the carb mixture screw and the knob on the front of the motor connect. I have the part but can figure out how to set them cause they can go in any direction. They must work in sync. I cant get them to turn together, so a pic would help a ton.