Temporary Tachometer

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know that to install a permanent Tach, I have to find a 20 pole version. But is there anyway to just check what my RPM's are with something else? I would like to verify my idle speed and RPM's at WOT. Can a regular automotive style hand-held tach work.... the type you clip onto a plug wire. Even if I have to divide/multiply the reading, would it still give me fairly accurate results?

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Temporary Tachometer

I am not sure if the 'Tiny Tach' will work but you can call them and they should be able to tell you.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

You can get an inductive timing light with a rpm feature. It's accurate because it reads from the plug wire. No pole switches to worry about. They are pretty cheap.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Tiny Tach picks up signal from plug wire.
Just wrap the lead around the plug wire and you are set.

The only drawback is that the battery is not replaceable, so the tach only lasts 5 years or so.

eavega

Lieutenant

I just picked up an optical laser tach from Amazon.com for less than $25. You put a piece of reflective tape on the flywheel, point the device. It reads instantaneous RPM, and has a memory function.
Its a great diagnostic tool for verifying that my instrument tach is reading correctly since its actually counting RPM rather than counting pulses on a signal wire. Downside is that it would probably be pretty difficult to use if the motor is not stationary, since you have to hold the laser on target for several seconds to get an accurate reading.

-E