50hp FORCE revs way up on its own

RENTMAN09

Recruit
Hi all,

I have found your posts very helpfull.

I have a 50Hp force. I found that it runs fine but sometimes at lets say 1/2 or maybe a bit less it will rev way out and i have not touched the controls. It seems like it when it is in gear and then jumps out and revs up. But this happens when it is in neutral to. any ideas

markh28

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 50hp FORCE revs way up on its own

Year and Model would be helpful as well.

The first thing I would do is a cylinder drop test. Put your motor in a test tank (my test tank is a cheap plastic garbage can) so it will get water. Start the motor and pull off one of the spark plug wires while it is running. See if it changes the way the motor runs. Now put that wire back on. Now pull the other one off and see if it changes the way it runs.

If one changes it dramatically or even kills the motor, then you have one cylinder that is not firing. I had the same problem.

RENTMAN09

Recruit

Thanks I will try it tonight, Does it make a differance if i use a tank or muffs?

RENTMAN09

Recruit

well runs ok when plug wires are removed one at a time. checked compression at over 160psi on each, so that is good. did notice a big change in performance when run in a drum as apposed to muffs. I did read that you should not use premium fuel? is that true???? Guess i have to run in the lake for a bit see what happens, just sick of this thing breaking down every time i go out.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like your engine is either possesed or gay in the closet...lol it's trying to vent it's frustrations.

RENTMAN09

Recruit

Thanks for the info. Any input on fuel? Premuim verus Regular? does it matter?

markh28

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There are different interpretations on Regular and Premium, but my advice is just to not use anything that says "10% Ethanol Added" or anything that says anything about ethanol. But I dont think that is your root problem here.

You will get some performance difference between being on the lake, being in a test tank, or running on muffs because of the water resistance on your prop.

Intermittent or seemingly random problems are the hardest to diagnose, but if you want it to run right you are going to either diagnose it yourself or pay a mechanic $xxx to do it. With that being said here is what I would do:

The cylinder drop test told you the ignition is "probably ok". But I would first buy the factory force manual for whatever year and model motor you have. (I got mine on ebay for $12) Also buy a multimeter (I got one for $30) and a DVA adapter (I got one for $35)

Test the ignition system. The manual walks you through all the steps, and tells you where to put the leads.

These tests will either certify that it is a problem with one of your ignition components, or it will certify that your ignition is ok.

The reason I am saying check the ignition is because I had a similar problem with mine and I thought there was no way it could be ignition, but turns out that it was. I wish I would have tested it right from the beginning because I would have saved time and money, which is what everyone here is trying to help us all do. Good luck and I hope you get her running!