Father's day boaters

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went to a small lake with the family yesterday. I have only been to this lake once before and it was not very crowded, so I thought that it would be a good option on Father's day as I hate crowded lakes (makes me nervous).

This particular lake is long and skinny. The rule of thumb is to boat in a counter clockwise direction i.e. always stay to your right. There were quite a few boats out but not too bad. We were cruising along, just feeling the breeze... another boat pulling kids on a tube came up from behind me and eventually passed me on my left. There was only about 50 yds between us, when another boater going the wrong direction passes between us. I was about as far to the right as I could get without hitting docks/ground/etc. I quickly slowed down to give more room.

There were people pulling skiers, tubers etc, and you basically had to follow along behind them keeping your eye out incase they fell in front of you. I finally went to the shallow end of the lake so my kids could ski(they are just learning). I stayed in about 5 foot of water which kept some of the bigger boats away from me.

We all had a good time with no incidents but I was a nervous wreck. I think I sprained my neck from constantly turning my head looking out for other boaters.

Bill Kilgore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Father's day boaters

I think I sprained my neck from constantly turning my head looking out for other boaters.

EWOHOS

Eyes Wide Open, Head On a Swivel

It gets that way from time to time around here, sorta takes a little away from the day, but it sure beats not boating.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

install a small stick-on rear-view mirror for people sneaking up on you, but don't rely on it.
I'd worry about tracking behind someone who's towing people. Stuff can happen too quickly.

I am so fed up with boaters who don't know the correct way to pass, but there are so many of them I am beginnign to assume that any boat will do it wrong. When i approach another vessel, I make a fairly sharp turn to my side so he can see clearly which way I am going; easing over doesn't do it. Same with cross-traffic manuvers--let them see clearly what you are doing.

TMoNeE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

install a small stick-on rear-view mirror for people sneaking up on you, but don't rely on it.
I'd worry about tracking behind someone who's towing people. Stuff can happen too quickly.

I am so fed up with boaters who don't know the correct way to pass, but there are so many of them I am beginnign to assume that any boat will do it wrong. When i approach another vessel, I make a fairly sharp turn to my side so he can see clearly which way I am going; easing over doesn't do it. Same with cross-traffic manuvers--let them see clearly what you are doing.

im new and id be lying if I said I knew the proper way to pass.. ive only been out once but ive been trying to read about "boating etiquette"

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I was referring to two boats approaching each other--they pass port to port.

When overtaking, the boat that is passing the boat ahead of it has the duty to stay clear of the boat it is passing.