1988 4.3L OMC Stalling Under Load

somat84

Cadet
Hey all,

Been a while since my last post because I thought I fixed the issue. Maybe I had and this is a new issue but any new help will be appreciated.

First - The issue: I have a 1988 190 Classic Wellcraft with a 4.3L OMC V6. About a year ago the boat would start to stall under load after running fine for about 20 minutes. Many people thought the issue sounded like a fuel issue and recommended replacing the anti siphon valve.

I replaced the anti siphon valve, still had the issue so I also replaced the fuel pump. By that time I didn't get the boat out last year. This year, got the boat in the water, started right up but stalled right away under load (ran just over idle, no wake type speed, then would stall). Couldn't get the boat started back up until it cooled off. This leads me to believe it was an ignition issue.

Second - What I have done: To date, I have replaced the ignition coil and plugs (yes properly gapped). Also important to note, the boat has already been converted to electronic ignition from points. Also reset the timing. Boat ran like a champ a few trips until this weekend. Boat was running great for about 30 minutes than hit a wave going through some wake and stalled. Ever since then boat will not run past idle speed. I am planning on replacing the wires and distributor but am not sure where to go from there.

For anyone in Michigan that boats on Lake St. Clair, you can feel my pain; this weekend (6/25) is Jobie Nooner so I have a tight timeline to get the boat running. A little more detailed for those familiar with the lake, I put in at the DNR launch by SANG. The boat ran great all the way to the light house by the Moot. Had to idle all the way back to the launch.

Any input would be very helpful!!

Thanks in advance.

somat84

Cadet
Re: 1988 4.3L OMC Stalling Under Load

I broke down and sent the boat to a mechanic. My luck with this boat seems to be really bad. Out of all the people and boats, my boat is the one that the mechanic has no idea what is wrong with it. He has had the boat for 3 weeks now and is no closer today than he was when he got it.

He checked the carb and said it was clean as a whistle. Ran it off an external tank and said it actually ran worse.

So the bad news is, I am still not sure what is wrong with the engine. The good news is, for anyone that may have the same issue in the future, I will make sure I post what the fix was when (or if) the mechanic finds one.