Steering replacement

notmine32

Recruit
i have a 1989 18' basstracker with a mercury v6 blackmax. the steering broke the last time i went to take it out...thank goodness not going down the lake...i took it off today and where most of the replacement racks i have seen have on long metal piece and two cables coming out of it, mine has two...im guessing that it's not going to matter as long as i have two cables, right? the thing is while shopping around for parts i have no clue what brand is "better" or "worse". the two i am looking at (which may be one in the same) are teleflex NFB dual rack and the other just says teleflex dual rack...the description for both say no feed back so i'm not really certain what might be the diff. other than price and the appearance of the package...any suggestions?

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Steering replacement

If your BlackMax is a 150hp or less, you should really consider the Baystar Hydraulic Steering.

j_martin

Admiral

Minimum cable steering for that setup to be safe is dual rack. I put the Teleflex NFB dual rack on mine, and I'm pleased with the way it handles.

1988 tracker 1800 f/s, XR4 engine, well oiled and tuned.

hope it helps
john

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I agree with John, Teleflex has a solid reputation. I feel that you're just looking for a suitable rack replacement system but if you were to consider hydraulic, at 750.00 the SeaStar Pro is the one you want to look at not the BayStar.

notmine32

Recruit

okay well i installed the teleflex dual cable system and it works great! was a bit rough running the cables but all is good...also i tried the vertglas system to restore the shine to my boat for anyone that cares...it works great!

j_martin

Admiral

okay well i installed the teleflex dual cable system and it works great! was a bit rough running the cables but all is good...also i tried the vertglas system to restore the shine to my boat for anyone that cares...it works great!

If there's a grease zerk on your front steering tube, take it out and throw it away. replace it with a plug.

Grease forced into the steering cables will jam them up. They are lubed for life with a light oil.

hope it helps
John