motor size limits?

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
not that i am gonna buy a new outboard this season, but i would like more power, and more then that, i would like power tilt and trim, so a new (2 me) outboard is probably in the future.. ok, so i have a 20 ft pontoon, the manufacturer plate says it has a 60hp limit. i see 20 ftrs commonly with 70's, and even sometimes 90's.. i wasnt thinking 90, but i would like to put a 70 on it... if i did this, what, if anything would i need to support more? the metal transom framework is extremely strong, imho.. or is it just not a good idea?? in which case i will at least go with the 60hp limit..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor size limits?

The manufacturer of the boat knew what the limit was. And yes, you can make modifications to the boat to handle a larger engine. However -- consider this carefully. If you own anything of value you risk losing that stuff should you be involved in any incident whether it is your fault or not. An attorney that learns your boat is over powered will have a field day with you in court. Next, if you insure this boat and don't tell the insurance company what you did they likely hang you out to dry. If you do tell them what you did they may drop the insurance. See where this is going. If you own nothing of value, go for it.