NEED HELP FAST!! OMC STRINGER - NO FORWARD 3.8l V6

DHSgeorge

Cadet
I have a 1985 Galaxie with an OMC stringer and a 3.8l V6. Taking this boat on our honeymoon June 29th. I took the boat out on friday just after I had the out drive serviced. Made it to the 5pmh zone and rolled in to the throttle, as it was coming out and getting ready to plane the boat shuttered and a rattling sound came from the out drive - it free reved a bit and came to a stop. I shut it down, put it in neutral and fired it back up again - put it in forward and the boat sounded like it was going into gear but no forward motion. Put it in reverse and we moved... So i backed it up to the dock and brought it home.

I ran it in the driveway with muffs on, with out a load the prop spins in both forward and reverse. Drive is a little louder than i remember.

What do you think it is, what can i do to fix it before my honeymoon.

This drive is a cable shift not an electric shift.

Let me know what you think with as little sarcasm as you can - i already know the stringer's make great anchors lol....

Thanks for the help! - I NEED IT FAST -

George
Morgan Hill, CA (20 min. south of san jose)

swaycleveland

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: NEED HELP FAST!! OMC STRINGER - NO FORWARD 3.8l V6

id be talking to whomever just serviced the the outdrive. what service was done? because something was not put back together right. start there.
maybe it can be adjusted but im thinking something might be broke. i have the same motor and outdrive on my 85 4winns. ill look over my shop manuals and see if i can find somewhere to start looking.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

id be talking to whomever just serviced the the outdrive. what service was done? because something was not put back together right.

Why does something have to be put back together improperly. Is there some rule that says other things might not break. I do agree that he should take it back to the servicing dealer, but not with the thought that they did something wrong. But give them a chance to look at it and see.
Most places will fix there mistakes with no problem and will tell you if it was something they did.
A service usually means a gear lube change. Doesn't take much dissasembly and reassembly for that.

Have you looked at the ball gears? they may be worn out. Might even be a bad prop, or shear pin if that drive has one.

DHSgeorge

Cadet

Thank you for looking through your shop manuals! All my shop did was an oil change. He mentioned that there was water in the lower end which is where the forward gears are, I believe. So I am assuming that I am looking into repairing or replacing the lower end. In doing some research it looks like along with gears there are also some dog clutches so I'm not sure what I need to do. If anyone can point towards a place within the US that I can call to ask some questions and/or order parts that would be great as I am in need of a solution immediately.

DHSgeorge

Cadet

Why does something have to be put back together improperly. Is there some rule that says other things might not break.
A service usually means a gear lube change. Doesn't take much dissasembly and reassembly for that.

Have you looked at the ball gears? they may be worn out. Might even be a bad prop, or shear pin if that drive has one.

The ball gears are great! Prop is great. It's definitely inside the drive.. Any other ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, if it's inside the drive, you either need a new lower or get that one fixed.

DHSgeorge

Cadet

Well, if it's inside the drive, you either need a new lower or get that one fixed.

I was hoping that maybe someone here has had the same thing happen to them - loosing forward in the out drive. I need a place in the USA that supplies parts to service these drives. I am also looking for someone who has a lower unit used for sale. Am I right that the forward gear set is in the lower unit? What usually happens when you loose forward? Is it typically the gears or the dog clutch? By still having reverse is that a good sign that the repair is minimal? What are the steps for removing the lower end? What do I need to be careful of....

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I need a place in the USA that supplies parts to service these drives.
every Evinrude dealer sells original equipment OMC parts.
most marine shops including iboats sell Sierra or GLM aftermarket parts
probably 25,000 places in the USA
Am I right that the forward gear set is in the lower unit?
yes
What usually happens when you loose forward?
there is no usually, it has to be diagnosed
By still having reverse is that a good sign that the repair is minimal?
no, just the opposite... if you had neither direction, we'd suspect a simpler issue like a prop hub or water pump shaft spline, but having one direction and not the other says internal problem

DHSgeorge

Cadet

Update :
Found the EXACT numbers matching COMPLETE outdrive on ebay. Made an offer of 600.00, he took it. Payed for it. being shipped!! even came with a mint shift cable still installed. thanks for all your help guys !!!

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Good for you!. Now you can have yours looked over later, repair & sell it, get your $600 back

DHSgeorge

Cadet

Good for you!. Now you can have yours looked over later, repair & sell it, get your $600 back

Actually quite the opposite.. I will take it apart, learn how to fix it/work on it, and keep it so when this one takes a dump I have one ready to go!