Evinrude 1990 70 HP

DCL

Recruit
My 1990 70 HP Evinrude stalls out or completely quits running- like you turned off the switch. The motor will restart after a few minutes, its not over heating I have checked by putting my hand on the block when it has stalled out. I have put a new temperature sensor in but that hasn't solved the problem. The motor turns over good it just won't fire for a few minutes.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Evinrude 1990 70 HP

Its either fuel or spark.
You need to test for both when its doing it, then fix the one that is at fault.

DCL

Recruit

Thank you for your responce!
There is plenty of gas the primer remains full, I realize that my problem lies in the electronics. My thought is that the power pack is bad, the motor will run sometimes for hours without a problem. But when it does fail it continues to fail sometimes every few minutes. It will continue to fail until it is shut down for the day. I was hoping that someone would inform me of a similar ocurrence with their motor. Once again thank you for your input.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

take a spark tester with you, check spark on the water. if no spark on all 3, power pack, if just one coil. sure electronics heat up and fail, then cool and work again, until the heat up again.