TEST your inflatable PFD'S!!!

arks

Lieutenant Commander
So I've had my SOSpenders for about 6 years now. When boating solo, my primary vest is an 'offshore' automatic self-inflating model with 35# of bouyancy. The 'coastal' models only have 22.
I've been religious about annually replacing the little 'tablet' that fires the compressed gas cartridge when immersed, but until yesterday never actually tested it by jumping into the water.

I wasn't sure exactly what to expect (a loud BANG?, maybe a hissing sound...) so I was a bit anxious to do it. I figured this is something I should do so if/when it happens in an emergency, then I'd be prepared for it.
I anchored in a local cove with 4 or 5' depth, then deployed a cushion float tied to the swim platform- just in case....
Anyway, I jumped off the platform into the water and by time by head surfaced, the vest was inflating. I didn't hear any bang or pop, but I think there was a hissing sound for a few moments (my ears had water in them for a couple seconds). The velcro tabs that hold the vest together popped apart as it inflated, but the right half of the vest was wrapped around the oral inflation tube. I was able to push the tube around the air-filled chamber, but within 30 seconds I realized the vest was starting to deflate!
The vest DID easily support my bodyweight (185#), but it was evident that it wouldn't last for long. The vest had a leak, and it was coming from the base of the oral inflation tube. I climbed up the swim platform to assess the situation. I was able to manually re-inflate the vest, but it was still leaking. I decided to go back into the water to see if I could inflate it manually while swimming (I was, fortunately). The leak was minor but to keep my head above water I had to blow 4-5 times into the tube every 30-40 seconds. If this had been an emergency, I don't think I wouldv'e lasted long.

I've decided to retire this vest. I don't see a good way to fix the leak and need all my emergency equipment to be 100% dependable.
So.....GO JUMP IN A LAKE!!!

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer
Re: TEST your inflatable PFD'S!!!

I have sospenders my self and a off the wall brand. I honestly dont think you had an issue its just the way they are. I replace the little carterage every season and tested a brand new vest on a few weeks ago. I get about 5 minutes of air from the co2 before I have to start blowing. I never understood that...I thought it was just me. They would be fine if you just fell off the boat but what if you get knocked out????I juess you get to live 5 minutes longer than you would without. I wear mine when underway but I juess if my boat was sinking I would grab a standard pfd...I just dont trust them 100%
Denny

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am glad I read this. I was about to throw down some $$ on them. I think I'll stick with regular PFDs.

skargo

Banned

We'll test ours next week Rob.
My wife's blew up once in the cabin of the boat when we had a wet towel on it. It fully inflated and held air.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

We'll test ours next week Rob.
My wife's blew up once in the cabin of the boat when we had a wet towel on it. It fully inflated and held air.
did it stay full of air or was it kind of on the soft side? the ones I tested didnt totaly deflate just got kinda soft leading to a uncomfortable feeling when the water goes over your nose, my eyes didnt get wet though. I wont do too many more tests LOL with recharge kits around $40...I checked sospenders manual and it said the charge will last up to 14 hours but it does not give a minimum....
Denny

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think I'll stick with regular PFDs.

Thinking that myself right now, however I will be monitoring this thread to see what those that know a lot more about them than I do have to say.

skargo

Banned

did it stay full of air or was it kind of on the soft side? the ones I tested didnt totaly deflate just got kinda soft leading to a uncomfortable feeling when the water goes over your nose, my eyes didnt get wet though. I wont do too many more tests LOL with recharge kits around $40...I checked sospenders manual and it said the charge will last up to 14 hours but it does not give a minimum....
Denny
It stayed full, we didn't have it in the water though. These are WM brand, not sure who makes them. We'll test them next weekend in the water for sure. The recharge kits for ours are $20.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

There's a difference in the auto inflates as far as how much water immersion it takes to set off the C02 cylinder, the more expensive ones take a little longer so that they don't blow off from rain. I've blown quite a few up prior to replacing the cylinders and never had one leak down so far but it's a good to know it happens, I'll be more cognizent of that fact now.

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They are supposed to hold air. In the police boat, we'll test them in the spring by manually inflating them and leaving them on a desk. If in 3 days they still hold air, they're continued in service. If not, they're tossed. It will do you do good if you're unconscious when you fall in the water, have it inflate and right you, only to deflate in a couple minutes.