still have spark problems 89-90hp

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
motor had sit for a few years, but after a few hours work it would start up but only run on 1-3, 2-4 had no spark at all, tried a new power pack but still no spark on2-4... then for some reason all 4 cylinders had a great spark(bright blue) but a week later was getting a weak spark on all 4 cyl. Got a DVA.started with the stator first,,, brown/brown-yellow= 180 volts,,,,brown too ground180volts,,,,brown-yellow too ground 260 volts.....coils range from 159-172 volts ...then I tired the white to purple.6volts,whiteto blue 1.2 volts,white too green .5volts, white too red got zero,so I check the spark again at the plugs and had no spark too any plug..I check the white to all 4 wires for ohm test an looks like a dead short,unplug power pack and all 4 wires test 42 ohms.. I unplug the black an yellow wire and no diffrence.I take it the power pack is now dead also.......

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: still have spark problems 89-90hp

I check the timer base all 4 wires with the powerpack unplug an get 1.7 volts, with powerpack plug in, get zero, scared too plug in the other powerpack,seems everything test good but something blew the powerpack and when I first installed the new powerpack I had no spark on 2-4 cyl. I am at a lost.........Did some more test and the stator with the powerpack plug in still gets 180volts,if I plug the timer base in the timer base is zero, unplug the powerpack and the timer base test good as far as OHM's an get 1.7 volts on all 4 wires... power pack is only bad at the timer base side,so is my problem with the timer base or do I need too be checking something else...something burned up the power pack...still trying too get some tools too pull the flywheel........