72 Sportwin 9.5 stalls with lid on???

NEPA9.5E

Recruit
Hello I have a 1972 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 (model 9222m). I bought a new fuel line and tank as well as plugs wires and fuel lines. At any rate I put it in a test tank and it runs great, until it place the lid on, then it bogs down just above an idle with little power, I did observe some of the foam loose and took it out just so it could not block the intake. I also drilled 3 3/8th holes inside and under the lid handle with no change in the problem. I search the site for this topic on this engine and didn?t find anything, but any direction, advice or help would be great, thank you in advance.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 72 Sportwin 9.5 stalls with lid on???

Lots of info on this here, even some very recent posts on this subject.

Two likely causes.

1. Running it in a tank can create a situation where you are sucking exhaust into the motor due to poor air circulation, it doesn't like to breathe the blue cloud hanging around the tank.

2. Same issue, different cause. There is a gasket at the base of the power head, if this leaks its possible for the exhaust to be directed under the cowl and make it run poorly.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't do this at home, but---stick your head down in that tank full of smoke and see if you can breathe. Well, neither can your motor.

Even a brand new one would not run in a tank with the hood on. There are several known reasons why they won't run with the hood on even when on a boat.

So.o.o.oo., get it out of that tank and put it on a boat out on the lake, where it was designed to run. If you still have the problem, check back for the bad news. If the problem goes away when on a boat, it isn't broke and doesn't need fixing.

NEPA9.5E

Recruit

Thank you for the advice, it makes sense but with just getting into this arena I?m second guessing myself on everything. And your right breathing in the tank sucks and the water tastes like crap, anyway fellows thanks for the fast response and link.