Milky Trim Fluid

I was looking around in my engine compartment the other day and noticed the trim fluid was milky. I know its not supposed to be like that. I would assume I am leaking water into the system somewhere. My question is.. How do i figure out where its leaking? How do i stop the leak? Will i have to rebuild the trim system, or will stopping the leak and flushing the fluid be ok? How hard is it to rebuild the system? Is it something I can attempt in the driveway over a weekend, or should I leave it to the professionals? Thanks in advance!

1989 Galaxie w/ 5.0 Murcruiser and Aplha Ona Outdrive.

RRitt

Captain
Re: Milky Trim Fluid

I was looking around in my engine compartment the other day and noticed the trim fluid was milky. I know its not supposed to be like that. I would assume I am leaking water into the system somewhere. My question is.. How do i figure out where its leaking? How do i stop the leak? Will i have to rebuild the trim system, or will stopping the leak and flushing the fluid be ok? How hard is it to rebuild the system? Is it something I can attempt in the driveway over a weekend, or should I leave it to the professionals? Thanks in advance!

1989 Galaxie w/ 5.0 Murcruiser and Aplha Ona Outdrive.

water usually enters the system from around the piston shaft. most PTT pistons are steel with steel ball valves that pop open if you hit something in water. Rebuilding rams is usually cheap and easy fix. Unless the pistons and ball valves get rusty. Then it is often a hard and expensive repair.

this may sound like a nube question, but what kind of fluid is supposed to go in the trim system?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... You can use ATF, or Hyd. oil, or P/S fluid or Motor oil...