Want to learn about Stern drives and Inboards

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've been to this site. I usually hang out in the Outboard section. <br />I want to learn about Stern drives and Inboards(how they are set up, different makes and models,etc... pretty much anything you can throw at me), when it comes to these I know diddly-squat! and I'll be the first to admit it.<br /><br />I know alot about Outboards, and alot about cars and trucks, I've rebuilt several engines.<br /><br />Some of the questions I have:<br />Do Stern drives and Inboards have transmissions?<br />How is the cooling system setup?<br />What is there for an exhaust?<br /><br />Thanks, I hope these types of questions don't seem to mickey mouse. <br />Chris

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Want to learn about Stern drives and Inboards

On the basic Mercury and OMC sterndrives I've owned:<br /><br />1. No transmissions. The drive units have universals and are similar to outboards.<br /><br />2. Cooling is raw seawater on most sterndrives. Two water pumps, one in sterndrive and one on engine.<br /><br />3. Exhaust is handled by special manifolds and risers attached by flex conduits into a U-shaped exhaust pipe, which feeds through the transom into the sterndrive.<br /><br />Inboards are a different animal; someone else can tell you about them.

Trent

Captain

Yes...Some actually did have tranmissions. Used the "Borg Warner Velvet Drive"

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Lark40, that's the kind of information I'm looking for. <br /><br />If there are any good sites, I'd love to see them. Like I said, I know nothing when it comes to these things.

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

Here is my question,<br /><br />What is the difference between inboard and sterndrive??<br /><br />A lot of people seem to use those words interchangeably but I know there is a difference.

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class

A stern drive is a automotive type engine inside the boat with a lower unit similar to an outboard on the stern of the boat, hence stern drive sometimes refered to as inboard/outboard.<br /><br />A inboard is an automotive type engine inside the boat and the only thing on the outside of the boat is a shaft going through the hull with a prop on the end of it. It also uses a rudder for steering.<br /><br />Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

That V-drive drawing on Snapperbait's second web site looks pretty wild! Never knew this animal was out there.<br /><br />So, some engineer woke up one morning and said "let's put an engine in the boat backwards and use belts and pulleys to run the prop drive shaft the other way."<br /><br />It was probably the same guy who decided to run the OMC electra-shift drive through the stern of the boat using a big rubber sock (boot) to hold it and then raise and lower the entire engine to trim the drive in or out.<br /><br />Guess it all made sense to somebody at one time or another.

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

ShafferNY <br /><br />Thanks,<br />I have had that question for a while.

chas285

Cadet

I am looking for a repair manual for inboard engines with an emphasis on counter rotating engines. Anyone know where I can get one?