Gel Coat Cracking

Noreaster

Recruit
I am considering purchasing a project boat, Wellcraft Airslot 185 Sport, to keep myself out of trouble and probably poor.

The inline 6 Mercruiser engine is in very good condition with the original paint still intact and very little corrosion. The outdrive is also in very good condition with only very light scratches on the bottom of the lower unit and no corrosion of the anode. I believe this was used for lake fishing only and not much of that. It appears to have sat for quite a few years however. the interior needs to be completely replaced including the floors.Not a surpise I guess. The overall condition of the hull is the best I have seen compared to other older boats from this era.

The hull does exhibit some light cracks in the gel coat near the front of the boat but these are so light that, if the boat were clean, they would be very hard to see.

The transom also exhibits some cracks in the gel coat and one spider crack in the gel coat. None of these are near the outdrive. The spider crack is on the right hand side in the center of the transom. There does not seem to be any depth to any of them. I did push on the transom in several locations on the inside and outside and did not find any soft spots or give in any of these areas. It apepars to be very solid. Is there some other test or inspection I can perform on the transom to determine if there is an underlying issue? Would you expect to see cracking of the gel coat on the transom of a boat of this age?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gel Coat Cracking

the interior needs to be completely replaced including the floors.

hi.....there is a good chance the transom needs to be replaced also ....as well as the stringers.

however minor gellcoat crazing is allmost gaurenteed on an older boat.

search core sample....and thats how you test the transom

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gel Coat Cracking

oh.....and welcome to i boats ! :D