Trouble getting pinion gear back in place during LU rebuild - '86 Evnrde 90 HP

dbamafan

Recruit
Rebuilding the LU on my '86 Evinrude 90 hp (20" shaft).. clutch dog and reverse gears were rounded and causing the motor to not go in reverse.. the pinion gear was tough to get out and now I can't get it past the clutch dog to get it back in position to fit to the drive shaft...any advice will be greatly appreciated..

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Trouble getting pinion gear back in place during LU rebuild - '86 Evnrde 90 HP

You may have to remove the prop shaft to get the pinion out. What does the shop manual say?

dbamafan

Recruit
Re: Trouble getting pinion gear back in place during LU rebuild - '86 Evnrde 90 HP

I've got both the prop shaft and drive shaft out.. it was extremely difficult to get the pinion gear out.. I removed it and pulled the shaft to replace the clutch dog .. now can't get the pinion gear back in.. the casting is too tight a fit...

Since reading threads here I've ordered a OEM manual but had bought both Clymer's and SELOC - no help in either one...

I have to get this together this weekend in prep for vacation next week... can't wait for the OEM manual to arrive so all help/advice is greatly appreciated.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Be sure the lower unit is in forward gear. ALL THE WAY IN FORWARD GEAR!!!
The clutch dog must be all the way ahead fully meshed with forward gear to allow easy pinion installation....

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Rig up something so that you can have the lower unit secured in a upside down position.

Now, have the pinion nut sitting on the pinion gear..... where it would normally sit.

Carefully have the pinion and nut balanced on the blade of a large screwdriver or a tool of your choice and slowly slide it into the gearcase, into the area where the pinion would normally sit.

Now, while watching the pinion and nut, slowly slide the driveshaft upwards into the gearcase, watching to see when it makes contact with the pinion (turn d/shaft if needed to have the splines align).

As the driveshaft makes contact with the nut, carefully (very carefully) turn the nut in a clockwise rotation to have it thread onto the driveshaft splines. When done, be absolutely sure to torque that nut to factory specifications.

If the driveshaft and nut threads are in perfect condition, the nut will thread on with no problem. Let us know how you make out.

dbamafan

Recruit

That worked, Joe... Thanks very much for your help!