Another PROBLEM! over these Force motors :(

hondakillrsx

Seaman
so i'm pretty much batting 1000 this fishing season.... after replacing the stator, rectifier, starter and the battery, I have ANOTHER PROBLEM that popped up today while out 3 miles in Steinhatchee. So after running around for a few miles my 91' 50 horse 2 stoke overheated because its not sucking water. The weird thing is that it stops sucking when you put it in gear. if you have it in neutral it sucks as much as it can, the more power you give it the less it sucks, which is a bad combo....This SUCKS! PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME OUT, im ready to sell this POS.... thanks!

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Another PROBLEM! over these Force motors :(

It sounds like just your impeller. The faster it spins the less its going pick up if its all burnt up. Just my thought. its a guick, cheap fix and will probably get you going again.

hondakillrsx

Seaman

thanks, I would think if the impeller is shot it just wouldn't pick any water up at all, no? I just had it out at the start of the season and it looked ok. I'll take it apart tomorrow and look, anything else that would do anything like that?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

When ever you have the impeller out you should replace it.Unless it's new. They can be bad new out of the pack.I had one that the center spun and would only pump at slow speeds.J

hondakillrsx

Seaman

thanks guys, I ordered a new impeller. I'll let ya know if that does it.

hondakillrsx

Seaman

alright guys, so I had her in the water today for the first time since I replaced the Impeller. She seems to be sucking much more water but it still does the same thing when I put it in gear which is sucks about 3 times less water. Is this normal? It didn't overheat but I only had it in the water for about 20 minutes. I guess my question is how and why it would even be able to do that (sucks lots of water when idling and then 3 times less when I put it in gear? thanks again!

ezimmerm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes. The "peehole" on the leg is mainly an idle relief (to get around the backpressure having the leg in the water creates). Most of the exhaust and water goes out the snout right above the prop especially at speed.

On my force 150 at idle I have two steady streams of water coming out......in gear and at speed its more like a heavy mist (if that makes sense).

john from md

Commander

Are you juging by the water that comes out the relief holes on the back of the leg? These are only for backpressure relief when the main exhaust (the snout) has too much water pressure to overcome. As you accelerate, the vacuum created by the boat moving forward allows the exhaust to come out the snout which is a larger hole thus less water comes out the relief holes.

John

foodfisher

Captain

Install a tell tale. See the water circulation. Quit worrying

hondakillrsx

Seaman

Thanks guys for all your comments. I had her out on Saturday and she ran great! There is nothing like a great running motor! I've been trying to get the time to add the tell tale but haven't yet. I'll be sure to do this soon. Let hope that is the last problem I have this year and I can bring in some fish! THANKS AGAIN.