I don't wanna, but I know I have to, but can I...

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
My 16' Bayliner floor is soft (what?!? soft floors in a Bayliner?), and I know I really should do the right thing and replace the floor. However, there are a few reasons I don't really want to. 1) we're looking to get a newer/bigger boat next year. 2) Our daughter is coming home from being in Europe for a year, and we want to be able to use it this summer 2a) Mother-in-law is bringing daughter home, and staying for 5 weeks (should be the reason to bury myself in the floor replacement, but...), and she also enjoys the boat. 3) we own a small but busy store, and I barely have enough time to use the boat. 4) I'm worried I'd get in over my head on the project.

So my thinking is this; get some 5/8" exterior plywood (or a recommendation from you guys), glass it, paint it, and make a pseudo-floor to lay on top of the soft floor. I worry about moisture getting trapped between the two floors, and causing a rapid deterioration in the already bad floor, but I was thinking of making the 'new' floor removable, so as to allow for drying between use.

What are the ups (if any) and the downs (I'm sure there are many) of doing this? The boat does not have a lot of value, and I'm thinking the difference won't be that huge when I go to sell it.

Fire away..... and thanks!

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: I don't wanna, but I know I have to, but can I...

Get the new boat this year, then you dont have to worry about the floor.

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

How does the rest of the boat look? If it's overall in good shape, replacing the floor the right way might be the thing to do, at least you can sell it for some good money. If the whole boat needs a little work here and there, you might be better off doing a quick fix to get you through the season, and then selling it next year as a project for somebody to buy, and restore while putting the photos up here :D

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Get the new boat this year, then you dont have to worry about the floor.

convincing the Admiral is the trouble with that one. Trust me... I've tried. Seen some really nice Grady's for sale this summer.....

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

The boat is in good shape overall. Runs like a champ. It's just so small. I do want to do it the right way, but the time involved it too much for me. And it would not be worth having it done by a pro.

foodfisher

Captain

Soft floor and that's all? A cover with 1/2' will do. Soft stringers and transom? Let MIL take it out :D but keep the family ashore.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

agreed with the above....

you can throw a new piece of 1/2 inch on top of the old then throw a rug over it.

BUT UNDERSTAND THAT IF YOU DO.....YOU WILL CONDEMM THE HULL TO A TOTAL RE FIT OR TRASH WITH IN THREE YEARS.

that means your resale of it wont be anything. unless you have no conceince....lol.

to do what you want to do is 20 hours less than ripping out the old one..and doing it properly..(you still have to cut to size and shape....yadda yadda and carpet them)....it can be done in a week

but if you just threw a chunk of ply over the old and a rug on it....and let the air get between the sheets....you would be ok....heavy...but ok

cheers
oops

jonesg

Admiral

Rip the old out, toss a new one in and sell it, then get the one you want.
I work 7 days a week, 2 jobs and I did transom, stringers and re-cored the deck, then built a T top and installed new tank.
It took 6 months to do a 6 week job but 2-3 hrs a day gets it done.
I'll see your bluff and raise it.:)

And I bet 13 donuts the stringers are gone.

IceWater

Seaman

I was talking to a guy last weekend who had never replaced a deck and stringers before in his life and it took him 2 1/2 days to do his Silverline tri haul.

I have always found that you are better off to do it right the first time rather than patching and re-doing properly later. I think the idea of tearing your boat apart is scarier than actually doing it. It also must be addicting because the guys on this forum all seem to end up doing several boats and often buy their next project before their current project is completed.

Good luck and post pictures!