Advice needed for Bimini Top

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1999 Sea Ray 190 BR
Wife told me to get a Bimini to block the sun or she won't be going out on the lake with me this year.
So, I'm going to go out an measure the width later today, but what about height and length? Not sure what size to get.
Don't really know much about them, but here is some (possibly) useful information:
Boat mainly used in central CA (Fresno = HOT AS HELL!)
Mainly used for pulling tube and some light wakeboarding
Usually me, wife and two kids (both under 10 years old) Sometimes take a few friends out.
I'm not tall (5'9) so it doesn't need to be too high, but I don't want to have to crawl in the boat either.
I'd like it long enough to shade us, but don't want it to look ridiculous either.
Also, any advice on manufacturers is appreciated.
Thank You,
Erik

mattb1974

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Advice needed for Bimini Top

Look at the biminis here on iboats. You can enter your make, model, year boat and it will recomend the right size bimini. I purchased mine here and the recomended size was right on the money. I would suggest buying the back braces so you can cruise with it folded up but stowed in the upright position.

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Advice needed for Bimini Top

About the height.......manufactures of bimini's figure the height from the mounting points on the top of the gunnels.

So if the height is 48"....that would be from the top of the gunnels.
So add in the depth of your interior deck.....let's say 30" from gunnel to deck, you then have a total height above the deck at 78".
Sufficient for your height and any tall pals.
Add or subtract what meets your needs.....in height.

Length is entirely up to you and how much area you want in the shade.
Sufficiently forward of the helm to give you shade and the same towards the stern.

Sunbrella fabric and stainless steel tubing/mounts will last you years and years....if you can afford it.