If my point gap was off by .016 would it kill the power

erichy

Seaman
I am trying to figure out why my boat won't get up on plane. It bogs down at 10 knots and won't go. I went out to check the gap and it was nearly double what the book calls for. It was supposed to be .018 and it was .034. Do you guys think this could be the problem? I realize this would hurt the performance but would it be a huge difference?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: If my point gap was off by .016 would it kill the power

You're lucky it ran at all. A little more and they wouldn't close at all and you wouldn't get it started.
Set the gap, then re check the dwell and reset the timing. Dwell affects timing.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Won't make a huge difference ......... if you like going 10 knots.

If the gap is that large, are the contact faces gone??

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Remember, gap is just to get it close enough to run. The points need to be set relative to their dwell angle (relationship of points open time to points closed time) with a dwell meter. Only then are they actually correct.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Thats about 16 deg. additional retard in the static timing.

erichy

Seaman

Hi JT Yes probably. This happened because my buddy was helping me when I bought the boat. It wouldn't start so I asked him to sand the points and went to the garage, I came out and he was still sanding! Well I put it back together to see if it would start and it purred like a kitten. I left it and went on the water to discover the lack of power. He meant well. Do you agree this would be the problem? It won't power out of the hole.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Very possible the contact faces are gone. I've seen points worn down to where the contact area was just a ring, the centers of the points were worn away. They were likely in spec when new, but the gap grew larger and larger as the points wore away.
I'd inspect, replace if they look bad, otherwise re-gap and give her another go.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This happened because my buddy was helping me when I bought the boat. It wouldn't start so I asked him to sand the points and went to the garage, I came out and he was still sanding!

Sanding/filing points is only good for two things, testing to see if corrosion/glazing/pitting etc., is the cause of a no spark condition and getting home without being towed.
Once sanded, they must be replaced as the sanded or even filed surface will deterioate very quickly.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

don s said:
Once sanded, they must be replaced as the sanded or even filed surface will deterioate very quickly

Yep... unless you want to sit there and hand wet sand with 1200 and 1600 grit until the points have the mirror quality polish they have when new. Even then... you'd never get them flat.
Points sets are like 10 bucks... what's your time worth troubleshooting an ignition system?

erichy

Seaman

Yeah I ordered the cap, rotor, points, and condenser right after I gapped the points,they come in Thursday. I'm just looking for a warm fuzzy feeling that this was the problem. I'll find out Friday night. Thanks again guys you all save amateurs like me a lot of money.