40 hp question

quacktrack

Cadet
Newbie to site. Lots of info here. I have 40 Johnson that is missing serial number decal. I think it is 88 or 89. Need powerhead. Can anyone tell me what years would be interchangeable and what HP the same?Thanks in advance.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 40 hp question

It could be new enough that it might have a title. If it's too old it won't. That's all a state by state statute. It isn't stolen, is it? you have to work at removing those tags.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

there is a welch plug usally on the engine..about the size of a nickel...that will have the model number on it....look for that....it is usually on side or top of motor

Al

quacktrack

Cadet

No ,it isn't stolen. I bought it new,lost paperwork. The serial # was on a decal attached to the transom bracket. Was it possibly stamped somewhere else. I will check the top of the engine for tag.

quacktrack

Cadet

Thanks guys. If it is 88 or 89 can anyone tell me if the powerhead will interchange with other years or HP rating. I have been told that a lot of these engines were rated at different HP, depending on other factors.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

There is a post here somewhere on what power heads fit what lower ends....and the years....

If you had it since new look for a old registration it usally has the year and model number and serial on it....at least mines does...

Al

quacktrack

Cadet

Thanks, Since you mentioned it , I think my property tax listing has the year and serial #.