My boat won't go in gear or trim

erichy

Seaman
Hello everybody I'm back with more questions on my nightmare boat (what do I expect for 300 bucks). My latest issue is the adjustment on the shift linkage won't catch forward and reverse at the same time. On land it's fine but in the water it won't do both. Today I put it in the water and adjusted the linkage until it barely made it into reverse then forward didn't work. I adjust it so it barely goes into forward and reverse won't work. The other thing is my trim is not working, the motor is running with the switch bow up or down but no movement. Any info you guys could provide would help a ton because I'm going broke throwing money at this thing.

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My boat won't go in gear or trim

From what I have read in the past on here dealing with the shifting problem, replace the cable it's stretched. As for trim, you said the pump motor is running, check fluid level is full. If it is you could have gunk in the resevior clogging the flow valves inside it.

erichy

Seaman

Ok I went out and got a closer look. The trim I have is the Select Trim system. The front mount moves with an electric motor. The solenoids are clicking but nothing happens. The manual says it has an inline fuse to prevent overload if someone holds the button too long. I can't find it anywhere. As for the shift cable I actually have another one from the drive that disintegrated so no 450.00 part to buy thank god. I hope I'm not asking too many questions here but I have one last issue to take care of. I was able to adjust the cable to get forward and went out to test run for other problems. What I found was the thing won't power out of the hole and get on plane. It's loading up the engine with the bow up in the air and bogging along at 10 knots or so. I know there are a lot of possibilities but do you think it's a lack of power? It purrs like a kitten. Any help is appreciated guys. Eric

erichy

Seaman

I went out and checked the gap on the points and found it to be .034 and the book calls for .018. Wow I had my buddy scuff up the points to get it to start when I bought the boat and he must have really messed it up. Well he was just trying to help.