'97 Volvo 3.0 idle problems?

Eaglepoint

Cadet
Is it possible that the engine compartment in my I/O could have a high enough concentration of gas vapor to cause the engine to idle rough? On my dash there is a notice: "operate blower for 4 minutes prior to starting engine". Is this because of safety reasons or is it for performance reasons? It seems as though it only idles rough when I restart the motor after a few minute break or when sitting still.

Also, there are two spots for inline blowers but only one installed. Should I have two hooked up and operating in my '97 Volvo 3.0 carbureted motor?
Thanks...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: '97 Volvo 3.0 idle problems?

the blower is strictly for safety.
gas vapor is heavier than air.
if a correct air to gas vapor ratio builds up in the bilge bottom it can ignite.
one hose is for forced air out the other is fresh air in. the forced air out hose should be at the lowest point in the bilge.

Eaglepoint

Cadet

It could be the heat in the engine compartment causing the rough idle - not the gas vapors. I'm going to try to clean my flame arrestor filter to see if that helps.
It seems that if my problem was with the carburetor that it would idle rough all the time. I've had my timing checked, it was ok. My fuel has been checked, it was ok. Fuel pumped checked, it was ok. Brand new belts put on.
Has anyone experienced rough idle after turning motor off and then restarting? Thanks for any experienced advice...!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It may be your choke is set too tight, then after being off for a few minutes it's closing up and when you restart the warm engine it's being choked some.