83 Johnson 35 controls

dahogman

Seaman Apprentice
I need help, can I switch the throttle handle to the other side and how? The throttle and warm up lever are on the right side of the control box and I need them on the other side. I want to mount the controls to the starboard side of the boat and the levers need to be moved. How is this accomplished? I don't want to just start taking the control box apart without a little before hand knowledge.

fireman57

Captain
Re: 83 Johnson 35 controls

I don't think you can because of the way the box is constructed. Don't know of any "left handed" control box.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Depends on the controls, some can and some can't, do you have a pic or model number of your controls?

Side warmup sounds like an older style and I don't think so.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

Dahogman if your picture in flickr has a tag that says IMG on it cut and paste it in a post and your Pic should show up here...

Ok I seen you posted the links sorry..I have the same controler...I think all you have to do is swap the cut out switch to the other side and the throttle/shifter handle....My OMC manual has the section in it for that controller...I will run out and get it to be sure for you..unless some one else comes in and says yes its a go to swap it

Al

dahogman

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not real sure on how to take it apart. I'm handy mechanically speaking, do I just take out the three screws and the allen head off the throttle and it will then come apart? I just don't want to have a bunch of springs and such fall out and I won't know where they go.

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same controls and it's not too bad when you take it apart. If you are as handy as you say you are, you shouldn't have any problems.

dahogman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help everyone. I dove into it, undid three screws, took out throttle allen screw, pryed on back of throttle lever with screwdriver and it popped right off. Then I unscrewed lock nut on ignition and pried box apart with two screwdrivers. Safety switch wasn't even hooked up to anything. I put box back together, only downside is now the throttle lever is backwards as far as the writing on top. Reverse is now forward and forward is now reverse. Thanks again everyone.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

wow, that really does look like a port mounted control!!!

even if you get the lever out and reverse it...you would need to move that other feature.( with the u shaped black housing.....

in addition another thing that says that control is made to stay the way it is, is the recess for the shift knob....it isnt present on the other side!!!!

I dont know for sure...but id say they must make left and right handed controls

PS I looked at the 1983 OMC controls and the one you pictured was not offered then....

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I looked around the JOHNSON-EVINRUDE parts page and I couldnt find that type of control, until the mid 90's from OMC....

bob

dahogman

Seaman Apprentice

That black thing is the safety lanyard switch, it was disabled so I just removed it. The throttle handle did go on the other side and the warm up lever is recessed so I can now mount it on the starboard side. I'll put a couple stainless washers as spacers just for a little extra clearance so the carpeting doesn't interfere. Here is a lnk to my project.
http://www.pontoonstuff.com/forum/pontoon-forum/4126-33-1974-starcraft.asp?PN=1

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

That black thing is the safety lanyard switch, it was disabled so I just removed it. The throttle handle did go on the other side and the warm up lever is recessed so I can now mount it on the starboard side. I'll put a couple stainless washers as spacers just for a little extra clearance so the carpeting doesn't interfere. Here is a lnk to my project.
http://www.pontoonstuff.com/forum/pontoon-forum/4126-33-1974-starcraft.asp?PN=1

doesnt the fact that there is no provision on the "OTHER" side of the control , for the black plastic laynard piece , convey to you, that the control really isnt ambideterous????

your control must be European!! ha ha ha

after all that work why not just buy a used control for $75 and have it assembled the way it was designed!!!

you are doing a great job...but Ill never understand people finding rotten wood in a boat, and then go right back and put wood back in there again!!!!

I think id spend the money and get sheet aluminum!!!!!

whats another $150 after all that work???

my 20.5' aluminum Mod V has ZERO wood !!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

dahogman

Seaman Apprentice

There is a plug on the other side so that the lanyard could be switched, I removed it as it had been permanantly disabled. I bought boat motor and trailer for $130 to rebuild and sell. I used CCA treated marine 3/4 inch plywood for the floor. If Boat is covered and kept clean and reasonably dry floor will last many years. I have built several Jon Boats using plastic, aluminum, and plywood for floors and tend to agree with you on using aluminum if it's in the budget. Most people balk at the cost up front ignoring the future implications. This is the first v bottom I've done and I wanted something cheap to cut my teeth on. I've mounted the controls in boat and unless I tell the buyer they will never notice. My intent was to build a good no nonsense fishing boat with quality materials and keep it affordable to entry level buyers. Ease of maintenance and cheap to operate were of utmost importantance if I intend to make a little money on it. Thank you for your kind remarks.:)