'92 Evinrude 15 water pump shot?

mnjoe

Recruit
Last time I was down on the river, I noticed the indicator stream was reduced to a slow dribble. There was just a drip of hot water dripping out. I didn't notice any reduction in power and the motor seemed to run fine on the way back, but I hesitate to take it out again until I remedy the problem. I did take the discharge tube off to make sure it wasn't plugged, and it was all clear. I didn't have time to run a wire or something past the tube, and through the fitting that runs into the motor. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and looking at the parts diagram it seems like a doable job to install the water pump repair kit.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: '92 Evinrude 15 water pump shot?

Check the fitting for a restriction, you should be able to hold your hand on the block for a couple of seconds when the motor is at operating temp. Sometimes when a motor is running hot it will discolor the paint on the block.
If you are not sure when the pump was replaced last, it might be time to install a new waterpump kit.

mnjoe

Recruit

Thanks, I figured as much. I got the motor from my cousin who bought it new, so It has never had any work done on it. I'll check the fitting first, but am making plans to fix the water pump. We've often run it in the river during lo water so there is a lot of gunk that probably got sucked in despite regular flushing.

mnjoe

Recruit

I got the lower unit off today and the impeller is toast. I blew out the tell tale and fittings which were all clear. I also ordered the water pump rebuild kit. I didn't think it would be so difficult to find one. All of the places I checked had them out of stock. I finally found one on Ebay.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You should consider changing the water pump every three years if you run in clean, unsilted water. Every year or two in bays or silty rivers.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I got the lower unit off today and the impeller is toast. I blew out the tell tale and fittings which were all clear. I also ordered the water pump rebuild kit. I didn't think it would be so difficult to find one. All of the places I checked had them out of stock. I finally found one on Ebay.

So you found your issue eh !!