Alpha One installation

johnny be good

Seaman Apprentice
Just finished a complete transom rebuild on my 1988 28' Chapparall eveything went well with the help from the restoration forums will be posting pics. of project soon in that forum. My question is where can I find some tips and tricks for reinstalling the outdrive I have helped a friend do it before but I know there are things like the positioning the shifting mechanism correctly before sliding the outdrive foward.It is in foward gear from when I removed it. It is a Alpha 1, 350 merc. engine. The transom assembly seems fairly simple other than keeping that foam gasket in place while installing the assembly why do they fold it in half for packaging seems to want to keep folding up. Thanks for reading

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpha One installation

Go to the top of the forum and click on the "Adults Only" sticky. Click on number 9 for OEM shop manuals for you engine and drive... free download!!! Check out number 10 for more important info. Good luck on your project.

Bondo

Staff member

The transom assembly seems fairly simple other than keeping that foam gasket in place while installing the assembly why do they fold it in half for packaging seems to want to keep folding up.

Ayuh,... Have you Cut/ Drilled the holes yet,..??
Are the original holes there, or visable,..??

A couple dabs of glue will hold the gasket in-place...

Definitely give the Manuals a thorough Readin' too...

johnny be good

Seaman Apprentice

No bond-o I haven't drilled the holes yet but they are still open on outside of transom just I have to drill through new transom wood with a jig of some sort to keep them parallel with transom. I was going to use RTV ULTRA BLACK gasket sealer when installing transom gasket and outdrive gaskets and orings. Thanks