1979 20hp throttle/advance linkage.

FZ1

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. Forgive me if this has been covered and I failed to find it in a search. I've recently acquired a 1979/1980 Merc 20hp. Someone has messed with it changing from remote controls back to tiller. This is where I come in. It was put together by the previous owner but parts were missing/installed wrong. The bushing for one part of the ignition advance was missing and the bolt holding down the recoil had locked this pivot. The bushing is NLA so i made one. P.O. claimed it ran. I never tried it. I went through it and cleaned the carb, then carefully reassembled the throttle linkages. Everything moves smoothly without any binding now.

I got it to run... but I don't have a manual or a point of reference to look at. I think the plastic plate which is connected to the throttle shaft and has a pin sliding in a grove moving the ignition advance might be on upside down. Moving the throttle and watching the linkages, the advance seems to start retarded, advance a few degrees,.... then advance a lot more,... but then at the end of the travel it retards back. That's got to be wrong... right? Max advance at less than 3/4 throttle (unchecked with a light as of yet) just don't sound right.

Hoping Clams or Tashasdaddy might have a diagram from a manual?.
In http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/481_8.cfm
#14 is the lever but the diagram is crummy

cheers
Grant