Engine won't start.

jnlcrafts

Recruit
Engine has no spark, opened it up and replaced most things. Replaces the coils, and did readings on the stator and the wiring. All test good. Thinking maybe testing the Stator wrong.

This is a Johnson motor, 1976 brand. Can someone perhaps tell me how to test a stator with a multi-meter. Or perhaps your view on what you think is wrong? Can provide pictures if needed. :)

jnlcrafts

Recruit
Re: Engine won't start.

Haha, yeah. It's been fine lately, just this last fishing trip it wouldn't start.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You don't want to tell us the make and horesepower of that 1976 engine?

jnlcrafts

Recruit

Sorry, I'm posting for my dad. Haha.

35 Horsepower and the make is a Johnson.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Okay, that's fine. Now, is this 1976 35hp Johnson a electric start model which has a key switch?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

While I'm waiting for the answer to the above question (electric start & key switch)............

The position of the driver coil is fairly critical. Position it as follows.

(Magneto & Driver Coil Alignment)
(J. Reeves)

To align the coils properly, have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit. This creates the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creats friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue and expand.

And if the points are okay, set that as follows.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

The Driver Coil.............. have the wires disconnected. Have the ohm meter set to low ohms. Meter leads connected to both driver coil leads

Rope Start Model: Reading should be 1.45 +/- .4 ohms
Elec Start Model: Reading should be 2.7 +/- .5 ohms

Set meter now to high ohms. One meter lead to the metal field of the coil, other to the coil leads.... one lead than the other remaining lead.

Either style engine: Any reading indicates a shorted coil, and if so, replace it.

Use Champion UL81J plugs gapped at .030 .

jnlcrafts

Recruit

Thank you for your help, I'll try tomorrow and post the result.:)