Driving lights but no brake or turn signals?

imthemedic

Seaman
I have the standard single light on each side that serves as the driving, brake, and turn signal light. Well the driving lights work but no brake or turn signal? Head lights on or off its the same issue.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Driving lights but no brake or turn signals?

Time to pull out the test light and check from the tow vehicle connection back.
Be sure the white wires are making a good ground to the trailer and vehicle too..

Here are some good diagrams,
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

new to you trailer?
New to your tow vehicle?
Do you have or need an adapter for your vehicle?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the running lights work the brown wire is ok and the ground is ok. It is the Stop/Turn wire on each side that is not working. Bulbs inserted wrong (yes - it can happen). Truck not wired correctly or the trailer not wired correctly. Start by checking the truck. You may have popped the stop/turn signal fuses with the additional load of the trailer.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

What are you towing with ???
Is this a new problem or is this the first time towing with this vehicle ???

imthemedic

Seaman

Im towing a 91 stratos 201 pro with a 2004 Silverado. I just bought the boat, but I am pretty sure that they worked when I brought it home. I think I remember checking them. I never did again and the other day a friend told me that they werent working right when he was following me.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

+ 1 on testing out the plug, ensure the wires are going were they are supposed to.
and you have good grounds. :)

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

HA! I have the exact opp. problem. Break & turn, but no parking lights. I need to get down there with the test light, gotta be a loose ground somehere. Good luck with yours.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Plug the trailer into a known good vehicle and see if all is then well. You can then isolate the main problem (vehicle or trailer) before proceeding further. If trailer then go for the grounds first.

stevetedder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agree with Kenmyfam, On mine the lights on trailer work fine with a known to b good vehicle but when I hook my truck no left brake or blinker. Meter shows 12v on it in all 3 places on trucks pigtail though. Then It gets even more confusing. I plug my truck up to another trailer and all is well must be some sort of voltage drop in my truck. Anyway Do check trailer with another vehicle just to make sure.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agree with Kenmyfam, On mine the lights on trailer work fine with a known to b good vehicle but when I hook my truck no left brake or blinker. Meter shows 12v on it in all 3 places on trucks pigtail though. Then It gets even more confusing. I plug my truck up to another trailer and all is well must be some sort of voltage drop in my truck. Anyway Do check trailer with another vehicle just to make sure.

Saves flipping a coin for where to start !!:)

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does your truck have separate taillights and turn signals? If so, you need an adapter module. It is unlikely that both the green and yellow wires are broken. (not impossible, just unlikely)

imthemedic

Seaman

OK I tested the plug on the truck and everything was working perfect. I used my meter on it and got voltage as I should have. I went back to the tail light and got 12v on the wire for driving lights. Then on the turn signal wire I got 1v off and on. 1v? How does that happen?