Trim Piston moving out of position

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When trimming the motor, the trim piston makes contact with a block on the swivel bracket.

Under power, the piston is slipping up and over that block essentially making the trim position ineffective.

We?ve tried tightening the trim cylinder housing, but it is still doing it.

We recently replaced the Swivel Bracket in the hopes that a new, undamaged contact block would correct the problem; but it is still doing it.

Does anyone have ideas how to correct this?

I can provide pictures if that would help?

Thanks

M

RRitt

Captain
Re: Trim Piston moving out of position

there is a stainless steel shoe that bolts onto the swivel bracket for engines equipped with power trim. Part # F449354

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks RRitt

yep, got the shoe on there

That was part of the reason that we replaced the Swivel Bracket, because not only was the shoe damaged, but the block under it as well.

The new one seems perfect, yet it still slips.

It's very anoying, as I am sure you can imagine

THanks

M

RRitt

Captain

then check backside of trim housing. it should be sitting flush on transom > big flat surface against big flat surface. Not at an angle or with a big gap. Flat on flat.

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for staying with me on this!

So, we've done that as well, pretty much each time we've gone out.

We've tried tightening it and loosening it (thinking that maybe it needed to be able to move a little) neither has worked.

what next?

thanks again!

M

RRitt

Captain

if the back of a properly mounted trim housing is flush against the boat transom then the trim piston can't get out of alignment except to break the transom clamp, bend the shaft, or punch a hole in your transom. If your swivel bracket was loose enough to cause the problem then your engine would jump up and down as you go in and out of gears.

obviously there is something you are over looking. Lift motor fully and recheck trim housing status as an immovable object.

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You are absolutely right, it is poking a hole in the transom.

Below is a picture showing the transom and the bracket BEFORE we replaced everthing. You can see the indents the housing is making in the transom.

It was like this since we bought it.

So, I'm assuming that since the trim housing is relying on the transom so it doesn't move, then that is the issue.

It looks like We're going to need to put a plate or something under it so that it can't keep twisting into the indent.

What do you think?

Thanks again

M

Click to View Larger

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Matt: That is only one of the reasons I always put an .080 hard aluminum plate on the transom. It also spreads the load of the mounting clamps and keeps them from digging into the fiberglass too.

Stop by the house any weekday after 4 PM and I will give you a piece of old discarded road sign that is the perfect thickness and hardness. Cut it to about 15 width and 13 length and cut a hole to clear the splashwell drain

(When road signs get knocked down and bent in an accident, they are no longer usable so I salvage them)

BTW: also check the tilt bolt. It is only 1/2 inch and tends to wear the holes in the yoke oversized allowing the engine to rise or fall vertically during tilt/trim ioperation. If you don't mind de-mounting the engine, these holes can be drilled oversized and bronze bushed. ME? I have so many junkers that I simply use another good yoke.