1958 johnson 35 hp lower unit need help

mntboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Been working on this old motor for a day or two, think i have finally got her to where she'll run, so like everyone has advised me was going to replace empeler. So i drain lower unit oil and find that it is full of water, got to looking and found that the prop shaft seal looks worn out. Is this more than likely my problem, if so is there anymore seals i should replace while i'm at, do they sell a kit for this with all the seals i need? Also why does everyone say to replace the empeler it looks fine or can you tell by looking?

coolguy147

Commander
Re: 1958 johnson 35 hp lower unit need help

might as well replace all the seals because they're all bad.

make sure you use an anarobic sealer on everything including your bolts. let it dry for a week or so.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

might as well replace all the seals because they're all bad.

make sure you use an anarobic sealer on everything including your bolts. let it dry for a week or so.

A week or so? I put mine in the water 30 minutes later or so and have never had a problem! But I would change all the seals also.

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is an anarobic sealer?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Anerobic sealer is sealant goop that dries in the absence of air. So it works well on the metal to metal joints like the skeg to LU and the two halves of the crankcase. Any auto store should have it, just ask for it. Usually it's a nice color. Blue, red, etc...

coolguy147

Commander

Anerobic sealer is sealant goop that dries in the absence of air. So it works well on the metal to metal joints like the skeg to LU and the two halves of the crankcase. Any auto store should have it, just ask for it. Usually it's a nice color. Blue, red, etc...

mine came in a nice cherry red:D don't eat it though....

yeah sorry anerobic* sealer

id go by the company's instructions.

i said a week to be safe.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I never read the instructions. Does it actually say a week? Oops!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy of the service manual for your motor. Do you have a source for all the parts for your motor? If not I have that too!