Stringer question

38special

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have seen plastic 1x6 at the lumber store. Could a guy screw them together to make 2x6 or 2x4 for stringers and would fiber glass stick to them?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Stringer question

Nope.

Not structural and fiberglass will not stick to it for long.

Been discussed here many times.

38special

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nope.

Not structural and fiberglass will not stick to it for long.

Been discussed here many times.

Hmmmmm!!! not really what i wanted to hear but i will take your word for it. Can fiberglass be gotten in board form. Cleaning the rot out that were my stringers leaves me reluctant to put wood back in.Lol

38special

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What about the transom, is there anything better than wood for repairing it?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Try using the search function. You will find a lot of reading material on the subject. You may even want to start with archbuilders thread, 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore. He used seacast for the transom and stringers. Another one would be micks110, 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration. They both detailed their projects very well.
Take care and have fun.
Bob

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Try checking out coosa board. It's a composite material that's waterproof that I know some who have the extra $$$ use.

38special

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try using the search function. You will find a lot of reading material on the subject. You may even want to start with archbuilders thread, 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore. He used seacast for the transom and stringers. Another one would be micks110, 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration. They both detailed their projects very well.
Take care and have fun.
Bob

Thanks. I know i never want to do this again and i will if i use wood. Lol

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I know i never want to do this again and i will if i use wood.

38......if you do it correctly....the wood will last 40 years. far longer than you will have the boat.
if you do it even margionally you should get 5-10 years out of it.....just make sure that you read read read here and let us guide you.

cheers
oops

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

38......if you do it correctly....the wood will last 40 years. far longer than you will have the boat.
if you do it even margionally you should get 5-10 years out of it.....just make sure that you read read read here and let us guide you.

cheers
oops

I agree with oops here. For the money, you'd be better off using new wood and use the extra money towards gas. ;)

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

i've seen people use cement-board as part of the transom rebuild, not sure about weight thought as it would be heavier