Gear oil leak

lashk

Recruit
Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum and new to my boat. In April I bought a used 2008 Stingray 185 LX with the 3.0 L Volvo Penta engine (sx-a stern drive) (30 hrs). As soon as I bought it I put in storage until last week. I brought it home to get ready to hit the water. While waxing it I noticed one of the trim cylinders was leaking so I figured I would need to address that, but what bothered me even more was I noticed a puddle of oil on the lip below where the upper and lower case come together. The seam where the upper and lower mate looks wet and if I tilt the engine it runs out the back of this seam. I have not even run the boat other than letting the engine idle but have never put it in gear. I'm almost positive this leak has developed since I bought the boat 2 months ago. It leaks just sitting there. I did check the level and it was full and clean and did not show any signs of any water in it. Any suggestions would be helpfull as to where this might be leaking from and the fix.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gear oil leak

Well, no one here has a working crystal ball to tell where the leak is coming from. But you might want to clean everything up and get it dry, then operate the trim (or have some one operate it) and you watch for leaks.
If it's the drive itself leaking, draining the gear lube and doing a pressure and vacuum check is the only way to find a leak.