What Year, HP and some No Spark ???

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Serial# 3268609 thought it was an early 70's 20hp from looking at everything online then I got my manual in the mail and looked through the list which came closer to the number being an early 70's 9.8hp.

Any help on what it really is would be greatly appreciated.

I figured out that perma gap plugs just arc to the outside edge and was able to determine that I have no spark. After failing the test in the manual for point response I torn into the ignition only to later find that my meter failed the test not the points opening and closing.

Being as I had it all apart I went ahead and went through the electrical tests listed and close to what I think are the right readings. (my meter only does 10 and 1000 not the 100 that the book calls for) The only thing that failed was the capacitor which I could get no reading on. If its bad would that cause a complete no spark?

Could someone explain to me how to test the coils? I for some reason just don't get what the chart in the appendix wants me to do to check them.

One last question - I still can't figure out is where Mercs take in water? Is it the port in the bottom of the cavitation plate?

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What Year, HP and some No Spark ???

All I can help you with is your last question: the intake for fresh water is just above the prop and below the cavitation plate. It should be an opening that goes alll the way through lower unit, and it should have a plastic screen on it.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What Year, HP and some No Spark ???

Thanks I'll have to look again the port in the bottom side of the cav plate is the only thing that looked like it might have been it.