Merc Controls

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice
A friend of mine has an old Mercury 35 HP all manual, tiller control. He is now wanting to mount it on a Jon boat and would like to control it from a console. Does anyone make controls that could be added to control the throttle and shift on the motor - mid 80's I think.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Merc Controls

Go to the front page of iboats and click on controllers. There's a lot of different ones that will work by several different manufacturers. Or he can get the serial # of his motor, get the yr. off here, then go to Ebay and shop for used (and in rare cases new) Mercury controls.

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

So, just the regular controls will convert the throttle and shift from tiller to console ?

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, you will have to have the cables, and I BELIEVE a bracket, but if you are buying it new, just tell them that is what you are doing, and they will sell lyou what you need. Now, if you are going to go the used route, you will need to do more research. Hopefully someone on here that has done it will happen up on this thread and tell you for sure.

You are going to have to do something about steering as well, obviously, and they have links on the front page to companies that do that as well. I can tell you this much, it won't be what I would consider cheap to do this project. I'm betting close to $500 by the time it is all said and done, unless you go the used route on everything. Esp. if he decides to get tilt and trim too.