Yamaha warning horn goes off intermittently

FISHUNTR

Cadet
I have a 1996 yamaha c115 (no oil injection) and about 3 weeks ago while cruising the warning alarm went off. Checked the pee hole and it's putting out... so I shut down lift up motor to check the intakes just in case something had them partially blocked...nothing so I put it back down and turn key on.... no alarm so I start it up and it runs fine the rest of the day and over the few times I've been out the last couple weeks. Well today I'm crusing along and the motor starts to cut out so I pull back on throttle and hear the warning alarm is sounding. Guess I could'nt hear it with the console door closed, motor running and radio on... so same drill it's peeing, lift it up check for blockage on intake and again nothing, put it back down and turn key on... alarm still sounds. I start it up anyway to check the stream on the pee hole which looked fine, so i put it in gear and gave it a little gas and it kinda ran a little rough for a few seconds, then returned to normal and the alarm stopped. Huummmmmph??? now my confidence is a little shaken especially being offshore in a flats boat... but it ran fine the rest of the day. Long story short a friend told me next time it does it to pull the cowling and touch the head (cautiously) to see if it is in fact running hot. Well when it was running on the muffs at the house I got to thinking maybe I should touch the heads after it warms up to get a baseline on what it feels like without the alarm going off. I noticed a bit of difference on the temp of each head... left side was just barely warm and I would'nt say the right side was hot but definately warmer than the left side. I could hold my hand on it for a count of 30.. then the urge to remove my hand was increasing fast, left side I could've left it on indefinately. I pulled right side Tstat and it looked ok.. little bit of deposit built up on metal frame, checked it for free movement and that was ok. Sorry so long, but anyone have any idea what maybe going on here... is this normal or does possibly this have a correlation to the alarm going off?? Thanks for any advice.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha warning horn goes off intermittently

replace both t-stats the water pump kit and the pressure control valve if its not been done in the past 2 years or so.
your describing a classic case of salt scale build up which requires cyl head and water covers to be removed for a manual scraping.

FISHUNTR

Cadet
Re: Yamaha warning horn goes off intermittently

Thank you for taking the time to respond Rodbolt, will do.